Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Highway Cop Cars

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
What situations are there where a V6 wouldn't do the same job as a V8 for police? How often do cops get involved in pursuits where a V6 isn't adequate but a V8 is?

Unless you're chasing down V8's all the time, it's not required. I'd say most of the time people would pull over when they see the flashies or the cop would be able to get their plates anyway..

I don't think Paddy waggons are at much of a disadvantage compared to their SS counterparts, personally..

I reckon the coppers will agree with me..

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
if the cop car is sitting on the side of the road stationary, and a car goes past at 120km/h, they will need the v8 to accelerate fast enough to catch them. those extra seconds saved can mean a lot in a pursuit

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
if the cop car is sitting on the side of the road stationary, and a car goes past at 120km/h, they will need the v8 to accelerate fast enough to catch them. those extra seconds saved can mean a lot in a pursuit
I don't think they NEED the V8, of course the V8 would be better, but a 6 would be adequate methinks..

Or maybe more people think about outrunning cops than I know. I'm guessing it would be a rare occurence and in the case it does, the difference between a 6 or an 8 wouldn't mean too much..

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
well us folks here in WA dont have cops with V8's, all the commodores and falcons are 6's. Which in theory makes my stocky VR exec faster than a cop. not gonna try it out though

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
heh saw a VN wagon in joondalup the other day, putting along, you could hear the work done to the engine and then the guy flares it up and plants it leaving a large puff of smoke and his signiture on the road, i was in a carpark at the time so missed seeing it directly but i felt sory for the amount of L platers crawlign around and all the Peds tryign to cross the road. lunacy.

but back on topic, i think peformance cars are unneeded by cops. give em a fleet of omega's with a police only fitment of the tiptronic shifter ( as seen in the S etc ) and let them be done with it. if they need more, stiff. give em a decent dash mount camera to snap up the plates on the move ( link it with speedo ) and then just dont pull people up, mail em all citations.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If I were to floor my VP as soon as I saw a cop brake on the highway to come and get me I could be a couple ks in front of a 6 cylinder van before he even got up to speed, that might be enough distance for me to escape up a side road unseen. Plus the vans are not supposed to go over 150 but the last time I got pulled over for no reason apart from your typical bored night time harrasment he caught up quicker than someone doing 150 :p, I think he just wanted an excuse to give it a flogging. The interceptors allways seem to be too busy going somewhere important to pull you over for random harrasment on the highways so I like them :).

Anyway the faster interceptors can make all the difference (they also stop alot better/quicker)

Also how would you go about buying a cheap SS in a few years time if there was no ex interceptors : )

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i don't like the idea of the highway patrol cars though. why do i always see them on backstreets, maybe once or twice on a busy 60k zone and probably what, twice in 2 years on the freeway!?

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
I live on a main road so we tend to get alot of cop cars going past quite regularly we get more then one on a call going past.. You will hear 1 or 2
LS1's go past then perhaps 30 secs later a bunch of 6 packs.. Guess they use the V8's to get somewhere quicker then a 6..
Btw if cop cars are stock how come they sound alot more beefier then mine when they go past.. We had a car chase going on not long ago where this cars was being chased by 2 marked falcons i guess they 6 packs next thing there is this V8 roar and the H'way patrol had joined in the chase was over a minute later.. Mate years ago we would look at the latest cop cars a say man I wouldn't try and out run that.. These days too many people think they can out run the cops it comes down to some people these days not having any respect for anything..

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
I dont mind cops having SS or XR8's but seriously a typhoon they don't need that why do they need to spend the extra 20k, that 20k they could put under the bonnet and would rip the typhoon a new arsehole.
my point is they don't need FPV's and HSV's