Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Holden model names.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Over the years, Holden has tended to use a mixture of model names, some Aboriginal, like Torana, Monaro, Barina and (gasp!) Camira, others more "generic" General Motors names, like Astra, Omega, Apollo.

Even Kingswood and Belmont were shared with overseas GM brands. Commodore is now uniquely Australian after being dumped years ago by Opel, Cruze has been used before and is being recycled on Chevs, Holdens and who knows what else?

Anybody car to suggest intelligent names for new models, that might be more Australian and less generic?

(And no "Meat Pie", "Roo" or similar stupid suggestions, ok?)

Here's a few I have thought of. All begin with V and have an international flavour, to reflect what I would like to think might become of Holden exports in years to come. Haven't a clue about the aboriginal language so I haven't suggested any and there's no Aussie-ness about them.

Versaille (pronounced Ver-seye) French - luxury sedan
Vermont - mid range sedan (United States)
Voortrekker (for 4WD) South African
Vendetta (coupe or convertible) Italian
Vixen - small, female orientated buzz box (ie Barina style) English

Anybody care to come up with their ideas?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
oooh i would like to drive a vendetta baahahaha. but i would like to see a concept car of the good old kinga.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I saw a Jackeroo the other day and remembered when Holden was flogging these. Quite an Aussie name. They were quite popular too. I wonder if Holden actually own that nameplate or if Isusu had the rights like they did with the Rodeo. The Cruze name I find bizarre. They already had a Cruze that was quite a different car. Surely they would be better creating a new name.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I saw a Jackeroo the other day and remembered when Holden was flogging these. Quite an Aussie name. They were quite popular too. I wonder if Holden actually own that nameplate or if Isusu had the rights like they did with the Rodeo. The Cruze name I find bizarre. They already had a Cruze that was quite a different car. Surely they would be better creating a new name.

I agree. Cruze is a dumb name. The original Cruze was a flop. I don't think attaching it to the new car in Oz at least is very wise.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Hows Crux? sounds a bit like crap but has relevance.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
i dno9 why i thought of this but sandstorm sounds cool.

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
i dno9 why i thought of this but sandstorm sounds cool.

oh i like that one, but alas there is the ute called storm i think im right or am i thinking of thunder?

Last edited: