Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New HSV astra

Would you consider buying the HSV astra over similar cars in its class?E.G.subaru WRX

• Definately i think its hot

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • not sure need to find out more

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • NO i dont like it.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • its rice, i wouldnt consider buying any type of rice.

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
welll.... technically, it's not a HSV, it's a vauxhall (spelling)\My g/f wants one, but I'd take a mazda3 MPS

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
TheForgotten said:
welll.... technically, it's not a HSV, it's a vauxhall (spelling)\My g/f wants one, but I'd take a mazda3 MPS

Thats like saying a barina, astra, vectra, viva etc. etc. arent Holden, they're opel or daewoo or whatever.

Its not just re-badged as a HSV, its modified by HSV. Suspension and a few other things are HSV jobs, not Vauxhall.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i think i'd still rather the turbo focus. it's a tough call.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
no i'd definately go the turbo focus. i just looked at both vehicles online. the focus has 5 cylinders, not 4 like the astra. the dash on the focus isn't great but its not poxy like the astra. people are going to buy the astra just because its HSV enhanced. pity, because the focus seems the better car.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
1991_Vn2nV said:
Thats like saying a barina, astra, vectra, viva etc. etc. arent Holden, they're opel or daewoo or whatever.

Its not just re-badged as a HSV, its modified by HSV. Suspension and a few other things are HSV jobs, not Vauxhall.

I'd be interested to find out the exact differences between the aussie and european models, but I can't really see the need for it to be altered at all from european spec as it was very well set up already. The power figures are pretty much the same too, so it leaves me wondering about HSV's involvement.

Edit:Just checked and on HSV and VXR websites the suspension is quoted as being 'VXR lowered and uprated suspension' on both sites. Power and performance figures are also identical. I really can't see any differences between euro and aussie models except the 19" wheels are optional in europe and standard out here. And the brake calipers are blue on european models.

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Shortstuff said:
I'd be interested to find out the exact differences between the aussie and european models, but I can't really see the need for it to be altered at all from european spec as it was very well set up already. The power figures are pretty much the same too, so it leaves me wondering about HSV's involvement.

Edit:Just checked and on HSV and VXR websites the suspension is quoted as being 'VXR lowered and uprated suspension' on both sites. Power and performance figures are also identical. I really can't see any differences between euro and aussie models except the 19" wheels are optional in europe and standard out here. And the brake calipers are blue on european models.

HSV change the suspension to suit Australian conditions, just how Holden change the suspension on the viva etc to suit Australian conditions.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
1991_Vn2nV said:

that's sorta where I was coming from. saying don't go gooey at the knees for a car just coz it's got a badge on it. plus, the focus XR5 and 3MPS are both cheaper and considerable more powerful, but neither have the "bling" of the astra

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
i like wrx's (that haven't been ruined by dumb****s who chuck on ugly body kits) don't really like the lancer evos, **** the focus xr5 i hate it, mazda SP23 is nice, hate the vw golfs, so it's out of the wrx, sp23, and the astra (if i were to buy a pocket rocket) i'd definetly choose the astra vxr, i like it.
oh and apparently the brakes on the HSV version of this astra are slightly better than the ones that the Vauxhall version has (not 100% sure on this)

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
i also like the vectra vxr's man! they are nice, too bad HSV hasn't brought them over

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah, the Vectra VXR's are really nice. I'm surprised the facelifted version of the Vectra isn't out here yet though.