Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New ignition barrel??

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
My ignition barrel is getting a bit dodgy now. Not only can I do the old 'take the key out with the engine running' thing, but the barrel won't pop back out when I pull the key out and I have to lever it back out to be able to start the car again.

I was wondering if the key number is stamped on any of the locks, and if it is, does anyone know approximately how much a new barrel cut to fit my key would be from Holden?

If I can't get the key number, does anyone know of anywhere that can sort me out a barrel to fit my key in the Melbourne area?

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
i think you can get a new barrel form holden then send it to a locksmith and they will match it up for you

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
some locksmiths do keep them in stock, the barrel needs to be coded to your key by the locksmiths or if your half keen you can do it yourself
just remember to write down which plates came out of which hole so the new ones can be matched to your key with ease

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
So basically I could just leave a new barrel and my spare key with a locksmith and they could sort it? Don't really fancy mucking about with it myself as it's a bit fiddly!

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Excellent. Thanks for that.