Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new jaycar digital amp

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I think i'll stick to Class A/B for full range :)

Class D seems a bit below par and Class A is way too expensive and inefficient.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Phreddy said:
Hmmmmm - a little concerned with the signal-to-noise ratio.... 70dB??? That's not exactly great.....

Still, nice and small though.
yes exactly my thoughts......
the class ab is still much cheaper if bought from new millenium aswell.
i havent been around the forum lately and i was wondering where has ray gone?

Last edited:

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
stocky said:
looks alright. not sure about all digital though. i know that with guitar amps, all digital mostly means its crap.

how do normal car amplifiers work? do they use transistors, tubes or what?

If by digital you mean solid-state, about 70% of amps are solidstate. True that valves are better, but it doesnt mean that solids are crap. My amp is more digital, with digital effects, etc and still has a pretty good tone

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Valves + Bass = :(

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
semi said:
If by digital you mean solid-state, about 70% of amps are solidstate. True that valves are better, but it doesnt mean that solids are crap. My amp is more digital, with digital effects, etc and still has a pretty good tone
solid state (transistor amps) are a different ball game to digital amps. solid state covers any transistor amp and digital is a type os solid state amp.
i dont know if valves really are better or worse, i think people who have grown up with them enjoy the warmness of their sound. just as a 2-stroke rider prefers 2-strokes over 4 stroke bike even though they have diferent charistics.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Valve amps have their place, and I know there are "audiophiles" out there who will disagree, but I reckon guitar/instrument amplifiers are where valves are at their best. When a transistor is driven into distortion, it's a very "hard edge" kind of sound, whereas a valve begins distorting much more "gracefully" if you like - a much warmer "fuzzier" sound. Overdriving a valve guitar amp gives a lovely rich distortion, with amps of different brands and designs having their own signature "sound". (Marshall is a classic example)

Many people perfer valve amps for Hi-Fi use as well, but they must be VERY well designed so that the valve is always operating in its' linear region. The aim of "Hi-Fi" is linearity, and as soon as distortion is produced that's out the window. Valve amps are also notoriously inefficient (if they're going to be linear), plus they're affected by mechanical vibration causing the valve to become "microphonic" - in other words, the control electrodes inside the valve vibrate as well - they're made up of metallic grids and plates inside the glass envelope - producing sound that's not there in the music. The control electrodes in a transistor can't vibrate - it's a solid lump of silicon.

Anyways, just my own humble opinions. No flaming pleez! :D

Cheerz!

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
^^^Yeap, summed it up nicely (well...I think so anyway). Each type of amp system (valve driven or solid state) has it's own unique sound profile and performance characteristics.

If you look at the VERY top end home theater setups they almost always use valves, but for most mid-budget applications solid state wins out because it's easier to produce and setup.

And let's face it, unless you're forking out for really good quality speakers and are a complete audiophile, you're never going to notice a large difference.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Phreddy said:
Valve amps have their place, and I know there are "audiophiles" out there who will disagree, but I reckon guitar/instrument amplifiers are where valves are at their best. When a transistor is driven into distortion, it's a very "hard edge" kind of sound, whereas a valve begins distorting much more "gracefully" if you like - a much warmer "fuzzier" sound. Overdriving a valve guitar amp gives a lovely rich distortion, with amps of different brands and designs having their own signature "sound". (Marshall is a classic example)

Many people perfer valve amps for Hi-Fi use as well, but they must be VERY well designed so that the valve is always operating in its' linear region. The aim of "Hi-Fi" is linearity, and as soon as distortion is produced that's out the window. Valve amps are also notoriously inefficient (if they're going to be linear), plus they're affected by mechanical vibration causing the valve to become "microphonic" - in other words, the control electrodes inside the valve vibrate as well - they're made up of metallic grids and plates inside the glass envelope - producing sound that's not there in the music. The control electrodes in a transistor can't vibrate - it's a solid lump of silicon.

Anyways, just my own humble opinions. No flaming pleez! :D

Cheerz!

A valve is also very happy when it is overdriven. Infact, it's best sound is hen it is distorting. Thats why if you buy a 100watt valve amp then speakers in the cabinet are all rated for 400 wrms :) Because the amp iss going to delivering that much power. :)

I love my Marshall

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
:yeah: Mmmmmmmmmm - Marshall.......:yeah:

(Hey webmaster - we need a "drool" smilie!!)

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
what marshall is it? an AVT or an umm.. JSL?

valves certainly do ahve a much nicer tone though