Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Key Head & T Bar

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
My key is starting to stuff up, sometimes i can open the car from 10 metres away other times it wont open even 30cms away. Im thinking of getting a HSV or Chev Key Head off eBay and a new T Bar, i know that more lock smiths can cut the key but do i have to goto holden to get the head programmed??
I heard there is a procedure you can do that programs the key, like obviously have the T Bar cut and then put it in the ignition and turn it to ON and press certain buttons on the dash and stuff like that. ANy one heard this?

Or does it mean a trip to holden to get them to program it all???

if so anyone know the prices???
or do locksmiths charge less?

Cheers

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
if your just replacing the head yuou can unbolt the old key and screw it back into the new head so cutting a new key is not needed.

i know holden can program a key but i wouldnt be surpised if a couple of good places could do it as well, as for whom, no idea im afraid.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i got the HSV key off ebay, and i took the old key (in workin' order except it had a crack and had the same problem with lockin' and unlockin') into holden along with my car and paid $15 to get the key tuned and it took round +20 mins and works a treat.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Mr Minit charges under $100 for the whole caboodle - new key cut to suit, new remote programmed to your car. Walk in, walk out 20 mins and guaranteed. Sometimes they have a 20% off offer.

C

Crimmo

Yeah, the buttons on my key have been pulled off so do I need to get a whole new key or just a new head? Will I need to get it reprogrammed?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
you only need to replace the key shaft if its worn too badly
you will need to get a new remote programmed
Rob