Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New leads.Help

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Hi i have a stuffed lead on my VQ V8 and i was wondering if there was a trick to getting the new leads on?
I took the RH engine cover off and it gave me a bit of room but it is so tight behind there.Any ideas?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
PaRaDoX616 said:
ummm as far as i know they dont screw on, they push on to the spark plugs, its the spark plugs that are bolted to the block dude, pretty much they just push on, requires a bit of force, but not too much or u'll snap the plugs like i have many times

He means he's having trouble getting the leads onto the dizzy. (I think) you 6 cylinder types wouldn't understand ;) but on the 8's the dizzy is an absolute biatch to get to under the back of the inlet manifold. When I did mine I took off the engine covers on both sides, pushed a coolant line and some wires out of the way and carefully persuaded the entire dizzy cap to come out with leads still attached. I was replacing the cap as well, but even if I was just doing leads I'd probably do the same thing just to have the extra room to work with. Getting the damned cap to sit properly when you can't see it is a pain. Another suggestion I have heard is to chuck a jacket or something over the inlet manifold and actually lie down on your guts on top of the manifold so you're looking down onto the dizzy, didn't work too well for me because I kept cracking my head on the bonnet. :D

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
PaRaDoX616 said:
ummm as far as i know they dont screw on, they push on to the spark plugs, its the spark plugs that are bolted to the block dude, pretty much they just push on, requires a bit of force, but not too much or u'll snap the plugs like i have many times
Right...............................
As mentioned easiest way is to remove the engine covers, then move some of the heater hoses and finally remove the whole cap. While your at it I would replace the dizzy cap and the rotor botton.
AirStrike :air:

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Thanks Pandaman and Airstrike,I took the covers off today and will have to take heaps of hoses out of the way coz im on LPG (extra hoses for the converter).discovered that i have a water leak from my inlet manifold so i will get my little bro to do the lot(mechanic)for me.Did plugs and LPG air filter today and boy did it bring back some life to the car.I get a nice kick into second like i used to.
I will do my dizzy cap and rotor button as well when the manifold comes off.
Thanks heaps guys.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Not a problem mate. Sounds like you have a well thought out plan, good luck with it. :D