Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New LPG ECU - Are these settings about right?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Map sensor would be hooked into the lpg harness. Follow all Vac lines coming off the manifold. I haven’t played with this exact setup so it may not require a map sensor but I’d be surprised if that’s the case.

Your o2 sensor is 0-1v.

If it doesn’t have map input it may just base load off petrol injection timing. They’re actually a very simple system. They take the injection time from the petrol injectors and the lpg ecu uses a formula to calculate the required lpg injector open times based on this.

Just try to auto calibrate and see what happens. I drove my ecotec on just an autocalibrate tune for well over a year with no issues before I set it up for a wideband sensor and tuned it properly.

Last edited:

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Thanks again.

Yeah I'll give it a try tomorrow.

At present when it switches to LPG the idle speed drops and it 'gallops' at 650rpm so I'm thinking it's just starving for LPG but worried if instead it's being given too much and might go boom!

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Thanks again for replying.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

At the moment when it switches to LPG the idle speed drops to about 650 and it sort of 'gallops'. I think that's because it's not getting enough LPG but worry if instead it's getting too much and could go boom?

you can see and maybe hear what I mean.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Probably just because the tunes for another engine I’d say. See what it does after auto cal. Won’t go boom - will run rich if too much gas and maybe a small backfire. Remember that because it’s sequential injection there’s only a small amount of gas in each runner just before the valve - the whole plenum isn’t filled like a mixer system.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
G'day Lex :)

It's a direct injection Landi Renzo Omegas 5-6-8 system that mainly uses the petrol injector timings to meter out LPG. Fried the previous unit when I left the negative terminal disconnected and didn't notice.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I had a go. Took it up to 3,000rpm and held steady on petrol but the software rpm reading was jumping around up to 4k, back to 2.5k, etc. Seems it can't get an accurate reading, so it never got to the next step.

Of greater concern perhaps was the large white exhaust cloud behind me...

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Tried all the available settings, couldn't make a usable difference, but observed that it's reliable up to at least 2.5K or so, so I could program it to switch to petrol above that. it can do it gradually.

Time to have a play with the manual tuning option.

LRv2.gif
LRv2_01.gif
LRv2_02.gif

Last edited:

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I think I've got the hang of this now. Adjust the number in the box a little bit, watch that the Petrol Injector duration is, then switch to LPG and see if the Petrol duration stays the same.

.. so the next question becomes, can I just give it 170 across the board, and have it switch to petrol above 2,700RPM? (I rarely go above this as I do a lot of highway driving.)