Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New LPG ECU - Are these settings about right?

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I bought a new LPG ECU from a wrecked '06 Holden Captiva - it's the same LPG ECU model as the one I killed.

I can't get the programming from the old LPG ECU, so have to start from scratch.

Below: I guess I change displacement to 3800 (VS V6)

Other than that, I don't know if much needs changing. I could just run the auto calibration and see what happens?

Edit: Found a manual at http://landi.pl/assets/files/OMEGAS/MANUALE_SW_2164C_gb1.pdf

IMG_20190119_112356.jpg

Not sure what this thing is - leave it at 1 I guess.

IMG_20190119_112410.jpg
No idea...
IMG_20190119_112418.jpg

The physical gauge is just under half, so I guess if I measure it with a multimeter and it shows about 30-45 ohms I'll be right.
IMG_20190119_112442.jpg
IMG_20190119_112525.jpg
IMG_20190119_112534.jpg
IMG_20190119_112602.jpg
IMG_20190119_112624.jpg
IMG_20190119_112649.jpg
toobig1.PNG

Last edited:

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
After some fiddling, I got it to 'sort of work' but the revs drop and it is unsteady.
Had to change to "Rev Counter" or else it showed double or four times the RPM.
Changed the Injector types to Landi. (Landi 2.0 the default, didn't work.) They're on "Large" which I'm not sure is correct, trying to figure that one out.
I have it set to one lambda prob set to 1V. (Not sure how many I actually have, or where.)
Gas Pressure sensor set to Bosch.

pressure.PNG

Not sure I should fiddle too much - is there a risk I'll end up in a cloud of LPG-based smoke?

Hmm, this screenshot implies that these are medium injectors. I'll try that and see what happens...

Correction, they're all called "MED" - must be a brand name or something. Mine are white, so they are presumably "Large"
rail.PNG

sizes.PNG

MAP sensor currently set to 'none.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Pressure sensor is at the end of the rail. When it drops too low it’ll switch back to petrol because it thinks it’s either out of gas or there’s a big leak.

O2 sensor input shouldn’t matter because it’s only there as a tuning tool.

Autocalibrate doesn’t do the job well enough. It’ll get it in the ballpark so that it runs but you won’t get good power or economy until you tune it properly with a wideband and change the fuelling table.

Also, make sure that all injectors are connected to the correct plugs for both lpg and petrol. It’s important that everything’s working in the correct sequence.

Are you sure it doesn’t have a map sensor?

They’re pretty easy to tune. I’ve done it on a few cars without issue - but a wideband is an absolute must to tune for best performance and economy. The bubble tracing feature makes it easy to see what points to change.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
G'day EYY :)

Thanks for replying.

Looking at a similar kit online, it shows that there was usually a MAP sensor included. I don't know where it would physically be though, will go out and have another look shortly.

The car is out of rego because it turned out to be due for a ten year LPG assessment; but with a dead ECU I couldn't use up the LPG for the assessment. If I can get it running well enough to use up the LPG, then I can get the assessment done, then I can get it properly tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. I haven't tried the built in calibration thing yet - reluctant to bring it up to 3,000RPM (quite noisy) if it's not configured right in the software.

kit2.PNG

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Hmm, so maybe it's connected to the original one, didn't come with one; which is why I can't find it.

Is it safe to bring up to 3,000RPM and let it switch to LPG given I'm not sure everything is set correctly? Everything was physically fine before the previous ECU was fried, so it's likely only the configuration that's not quite right.

map.PNG

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As long as it’s getting the right rpm signal and everything’s hooked up properly it’ll be fine to run at 3000rpm. Just keep a steady foot - it will bog down and rev up a few times until it’s got the fuelling in the ballpark.

It basically works out how much lpg is required to sustain that 3000rpm and generates a map based off that.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
OK I'll give that a try *Fetches ear muffs*

Will take a video while I'm at it. With 510,000km I'm always wondering when I'm going to get that final big bang. Will let it warm up a bit first.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yes you want it to be at operating temperature otherwise the whole map will be well off the mark. Also I’d change that changeover temp to 60 degrees - they can stall and run like a dog when the reducer/converter is too cold. Makes for more seamless changeover - and set it to sequential changeover if you have the option.

3000rpm is nothing, if it can’t cope with that it just wasn’t meant to be lol

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Well, I tried to do the auto configure for the MAP sensor, but it just sits for ever saying "Turn key on and wait for data to be acquired" - waited several minutes with the ignition on but not running. (First step is to get MAP value for atmospheric pressure I think.)

Gave up on that.

I'm guessing this first picture is the MAP sensor, and the second is the Lambda sensor. Not sure how to tell if it's a 0-1V model, a 0-5V model or a 5-0V Model.

I guess I can try my luck with the Auto Calibration anyway and leave the MAP sensor turned off? Or is it time to give up and take it to a pro?

map2.PNG
lambda.PNG