Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New member, HVAC system doing my head in

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
Lad’s,

Ive got a 2009 SIDI engined SV6 that I’m having a couple of issues with, first being the HVAC system.
Problem started with only blowing hot air out the top vent to the windscreen, I spent a bit of time searching on here and google and have tried the demister reset trick with no change.
I’ve gained access to the HVAC actuator of the drivers side along with access to the three on the passengers side. When I try to change vents over via control panel (Which is an Aerpro double din unit) I don’t get any movement at any of the actuators, the same goes when I do the demister reset/learn trick..nothing at all.
I believe the drivers side actuator maybe dicky as I can turn it freely by hand when it hooked up to the actuator and flap...could this be screwing the whole lot up or should the others still be working?
Is there a way of powering up the actuators once removed to check for operation?
My next step was to get a second hand HVAC module from a wrecker and try that, failing that has anyone had issues with the Aerpro control units?

My second issue is the airbag light, battery went flat in the car and it’s been on since then..can a flat battery bring up a airbag fault light?

got the dash in a kagillion pieces, want to get the bastard sorted and back together, have some timing chains coming from Revhigh so that’s next job.

cheers guys

Josh

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
First, there is a link here to the factory workshop manual, hosted on a members google drive.
Download, enable the side bar feature in the pdf reader of your choice.
Go down the menu, go to HVAC. It will have all you need to identify and rectify the issue. step by step.
The file is too big to post.
The info is too detailed to list in a post.

Module replacement is found under HVAC>Heating and ventilation (etc). Actuators are located under HVAC>Automatic or make use of this https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
I am reasonably certain you cannot do a learn with the aftermarket head unit.
Others here have tried.
Do you have a factory unit just for testing?

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
First, there is a link here to the factory workshop manual, hosted on a members google drive.
Download, enable the side bar feature in the pdf reader of your choice.
Go down the menu, go to HVAC. It will have all you need to identify and rectify the issue. step by step.
The file is too big to post.
The info is too detailed to list in a post.

Module replacement is found under HVAC>Heating and ventilation (etc). Actuators are located under HVAC>Automatic or make use of this https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/

Hi mate, cheers for the reply. I’ve pretty much got it sorted. Replaced a dodgy actuator and the hvac module (Matched from unit at wreckers) which has got it all working again. Only prob now is I can’t get it to relearn, I have the Aerpro facia installed and holding in the rear demister button isn’t doing anything!!

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
I am reasonably certain you cannot do a learn with the aftermarket head unit.
Others here have tried.
Do you have a factory unit just for testing?

hey mate,

No I don’t have an original facia, all is now working the actuators now just need a calibration/relearn. Pain in the ass if the Aerpro system doesn’t allow a relearn!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The only other way to do the relearn then will be via OBD2 using a Tech2, or equivalent diagnostic device.
ELM Street on PC might do it. Envyous Customs also do a more detailed program interface.

Holden will use the Tech2 generally. Cheap apps do not do these sorts of features.

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
The only other way to do the relearn then will be via OBD2 using a Tech2, or equivalent diagnostic device.
ELM Street on PC might do it. Envyous Customs also do a more detailed program interface.

Holden will use the Tech2 generally. Cheap apps do not do these sorts of features.

Ok, thanks mate