Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monaro in 2018 ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
So every 2 door GM car is a Monaro then? And pretty sure you can slap any badge on any car. I can easily fit a Ferrari badge on the bonnet of my Maloo doesn't mean HSV designed the Maloo to be a Ferrari.

That said it looks pretty nice, Some Euro lines at American muscle prices, cant see them not putting an LS3 in it though if it does go into production.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We arent getting it, but by golly if we ever do we will call that a ####ing Monaro as well!

I know but I'd rather a Camaro than that thing. Someone at GM needs to get their head outa their collective arses.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I think that GM unfortunately will be looking at this Euro style vehicle because that it what sells. The muscle car is low volume. I will keep my SSV Redline that I buy later this year.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
carsales.com.au said:
DETROIT MOTOR SHOW: Sexy new Buick won't become a Holden

The prospects of the beautiful Buick Avista concept morphing into a new-generation Holden Monaro are being downplayed inside and outside General Motors.

Instead, Chevrolet's next-generation mid-engined Corvette remains the most logical known possibility of sitting in Holden dealerships as the sports car General Motors has promised to deliver Australians.

Another Chevrolet — the new Camaro — continues to be a chance, but is not scheduled for RHD production and may not arrive for years, leaving under a cloud the identity of the 'Holden sports car' first alluded to by GM International Operations boss Stefan Jacoby at the Detroit show in January 2015.

The surprise reveal of the rear-wheel drive 300kW twin-turbo V6 Avista on Sunday night in Detroit understandably had Australian automotive outlets — including motoring.com.au — speculating this was Jacoby’s mysterious sports car.

The idea makes sense since GM Europe is expected to reveal a closely related new-generation Opel GT at the Geneva show in March and Holden has said more than a third of the 24 new models it will release by 2020 will come from Opel in Germany.

On the plus side of the argument the Avista is based on the same Alpha architecture as the latest Camaro and that means it is ‘package protected’ for right-hand drive.

But unlike the Camaro the Avista is yet to be green-lighted for production and sadly may never be.

Twenty four hours after it was first shown and in the wake of various ‘Buick must build it’ stories in US media, authoritative industry journal Automotive News said Avista almost certainly won’t be built.

“China isn’t much of a coupe market,” wrote AN journalist Mike Colias. “Considering that country accounted for around 80 per cent of Buick’s 1.2 million vehicle sales in 2015, conversations about Buick product planning typically start and end with China.
... but that's not news to anyone.

I think that GM unfortunately will be looking at this Euro style vehicle because that it what sells. The muscle car is low volume.
"Unfortunately"?
I don't see anything wrong with it (apart from the fact that it will never be built), it's a platform that the LS-series apparently fits in.
I guess it doesn't look old fashioned ... ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I dig it. AWD turbo with good displacement (for a turbo engine), could be something revvy and awesome particularly if it's manual. Does seem like a 2 door version of the Insignia that Holden are already selling though.

Setting that car up to compete with the Mustang is retarded though (particularly if they do call it a Monaro). I do get the feeling it will be rediculously overpriced too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dig it. AWD turbo with good displacement (for a turbo engine), could be something revvy and awesome particularly if it's manual. Does seem like a 2 door version of the Insignia that Holden are already selling though.
It's a Camaro, same as ... a 2005 Focus is a 2005 Mazda3.
So it's RWD, V6 with room for turbos; but the LS V8's have been designed to fit.
Hasn't been engineered for RHD.

But only a concept car, won't ever be built.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I kind of like it. Very Euro, hints of Jag and Aston.
There is a tiny hint of commodore in the headlights and grille.
6 cylinder turbo is the logical eco credential + Muscle choice.
Torana ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Camaro platform costs more to build than Zeta did, and also more than Mustang (in the US, Camaros are more expensive than Mustangs).
So even though it's very unlikely to be built because the Chinese market is the only place Buick exists & the Chinese market doesn't do coupés, it'd be a bit of an ask to get people to buy a "Torana" for $60k+. :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
People buy 40 yr old Toranas now for $60k+

That Buick is nowhere near deserving of wearing a Torana nameplate.