Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monaro in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by Tsunamix, Jan 12, 2016.

1. crew_man

crew_man Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
    Because GM have decided against manufacturing it in RHD. After seeing how well the Mustang has done in RHD markets they might have to look into starting RHD production.

Although I think it's more likely that they have decided that a RHD premium coupe from Opel will suit RHD markets more so than the Camaro

2. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    They didn't design current Camaro for RHD production, and due to modern packaging/build processes it'd be really difficult to build it in RHD now as a result. If we ever get a Camaro it'll be the next model, but fads & fashion being what they are, the coupe thing is likely to be on the wane again by then.

They DID design Corvette to be RHD, probably because they make about 19000x as much profit per car on those.

3. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    VS_Pete and lmoengnr like this.
  4. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    When you think that Monaros were marketed as GTO's, I wonder how the VE coupe might have sold as the new Camaro instead of the retro model that eventuated. After all, both cars were developed here and I can't help thinking the Coupe would have been a better car.

5. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I don't think that the Coupe would have gone over all that well in the US, it was not 'in your face aggressive' enough for them. The Monaro/GTO got criticised for being being 'soft' in look and performance (acceleration and noise), whereas here and UK the design was applauded.
    My reading memories of the Coupe and Camaro development, Holden stated that they could have done the B pillarless Monaro, but could not get the Camaro to pass the side impact test, so they had to utilize a B pillar. With the V2 Monaro, the computer predictions were spot on for the real test.
    Personal opinion, but having seen a Camaro in car park, it is as big a retro dog's breakfast as the current Mustang.

Calaber likes this.
  6. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    TV show... Wisdom of the crowd...
    the detective Cavanaugh was driving a GM Buick 4 door that had a grille with that little top bit of grille like that Holden 4 cylinder FWD thing they made here.

I thought the car might be a version of Insignia, then I thought I saw some large capital letters written on the front doors.
    AVISTA (maybe).

In a carpark, car chase, it did a J-turn so I assumed it must be a rear wheel drive. It seemed roomy enough for two blokes in the front seat, I wonder if it is the 4 door version of the AVISTA car being chatted about in this thread, or the US version of an Insignia?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I agree about the styling of the retro Camaro and Mustang. The Yanks are welcome to both. I'm amused at the drooling on this forum about the impending Camaro. Will it be a better driver's car than the SSV or Redline? Will it really be a better performer and will it be better built? I suspect no on all three counts. Styling is subjective but the retro look, to me, fails to capture the neat, clean styling and originality if the originals. The Coupe would/could have been developed to look like a car for its time. The retro look is already starting to look like it's had its time IMO.