Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monaro in 2018 ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, so let's forget the name Monaro for a minute. Assuming this thing ever gets here under the Holden banner, what would you call it?

Avista doesn't do much for me, but foreign nameplates have been successful for Holden in the past. Commodore was originally a piss-weak Opel that self-destructed during road testing here in the mid 70's, but the name caught on, probably because the original VB was such a good car in comparison with its opposition at that time and was very heavily Australian-engineered by Holden. I haven't seen any reference to a proposed name for the Opel show car.

So, suggestions?

My two bob's worth.

Vendetta or Vigilante. I don't think either name has been used on a mass-produced car before.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
OK, so let's forget the name Monaro for a minute. Assuming this thing ever gets here under the Holden banner, what would you call it?

So, suggestions?

My two bob's worth.

Vendetta or Vigilante. I don't think either name has been used on a mass-produced car before.

How about the Holden Death Knell

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Ugly is up to the beholder, I reckon it looks pretty nice (even though - as has already been said - it looks not unlike a mishmash of other-manufacturer design cues). :)

Agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's just that my eye beholds no beauty in that thing !!

My two bob's worth.

I don't mind those names Calaber, however to me they conjure images of something that is badass and when I think badass I don't think of an over stylised V6 anything.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How about the
Holden Death Knell

That's very cynical, Noe. But i think that would have been better suited to something like the Malibu.

@VS.

Well one day the biggest affordable badass probably will be no bigger than a V6.

I really think that the V8 fraternity need to understand that as far as Australia is concerned there won't be any V8 GM models before long.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
@VS.

Well one day the biggest affordable badass probably will be no bigger than a V6.

I really think that the V8 fraternity need to understand that as far as Australia is concerned there won't be any V8 GM models before long.

Can't argue there Calaber.....still makes me sad though :(

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
think I'll add something.

The first Torana was a rebadged opel cadet - TA Torana. It sucked and then vomited hairy microscopic balls everythere with it's 1.3L 4Cyl engine.

Tne Backfire ...I Mean Starfire 4Cyl toranas's carried right throught to the UC model.

And you say that this reasonably swoopy looking twin turbo 6 isn't fit to be called a Torana ?

Same think with the Monaro nameplate. First arrived on a tudor HK, although with a reasonable chev 327 engine. Still not a page on HQ or VT Munro's. Again - the new opel actually looks good by comparison.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Those things were the newborns that shat and farted like all babies and then grew up into the muscle cars that many love.

TBH, unless a new model harks back to the original nameplate in both looks and emotions (I'm looking at Mustang, Camaro and Challenger as examples of some that do), I don't believe an old nameplate should be revived at all.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It doesn't matter what it is/was called because GM has stated that it won't be built.
Even if it was built and came here as a Monaro, I wouldn't swap my CV8 for one, because a Monaro is an Oz built 2 door Kingswood or Commodore.
I still lament that the Coupe60 did not see the roads as a Monaro, because I would have had to get one.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
think I'll add something.

The first Torana was a rebadged opel cadet - TA Torana. It sucked and then vomited hairy microscopic balls everythere with it's 1.3L 4Cyl engine.

Tne Backfire ...I Mean Starfire 4Cyl toranas's carried right throught to the UC model.

And you say that this reasonably swoopy looking twin turbo 6 isn't fit to be called a Torana ?

Same think with the Monaro nameplate. First arrived on a tudor HK, although with a reasonable chev 327 engine. Still not a page on HQ or VT Munro's. Again - the new opel actually looks good by comparison.

Nup. The first "Torana" was a rebadged and little changed Vauxhall HB series Viva. It was even called the HB here. The TA Torana was the last of the LC/LJ/TA body shells - it was a stop-gap model and a very poor seller because it was hopelessly outdone by the competition when it was introduced in 1974, but there was no four cylinder option initially offered in the larger LH series introduced at the same time.

The "Starrfire" wasn't introduced UNTIL partway through production of the UC, when the Sunbird SLE was released. That engine was also fitted to some Coronas, the VC and early VH's. The four cylinder engine used in the LH, LX and early UC was the 1900 Opel.

You're right about one thing though. No matter which four cylinder engine was fitted, they were all utterly gutless.