Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monaro in 2018 ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It doesn't have a V8 so it's not a Monaro?

Try telling that to classic HK/T/G Monaro GTS owners with 186S engines. (or even the base models which had 161's or 186's. Still pretty rare and valuable these days)

Or CV6 owners with supercharged V6 engines.

Pretty lame argument. Even a performance icon like the Mustang can now be purchased with a 4 cylinder can't it?

Liked it or not, the styling and engineering is the way cars are going, particularly from GM. And small markets like ours are going to pick up models from various overseas plants and have Holden badges plastered on them because the name still means something here. We picked up the Swift and the Corsa and called them Barina. There's debate within GM at present as to whether the Commodore replacement will still be called Commodore, even though it won't be called that anywhere else. So what's wrong with calling this thing a Monaro if it ever gets here, because it's not a "Camaro" (big deal) and the current name it has won't pull any buyers here.

Not made in Australia?

What is?

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well said that man , if I had the chance I'd buy a supercharged CV 6 Monaro due to their relative rarerirty , down to the fact that they didn't sell many compared to the V8 .

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
6cyl Monaros are lame.

Not made in Australia?

What is?

Every Monaro ever - even the V2's etc are all Australian designed and built with a donk from the states.

They should just give us the Camaro and be done with it like Ford have done with Mustang if they want a shred of cred left.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
A Monaro?

Not even a Holden in my book!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So what's wrong with calling this thing a Monaro if it ever gets here, because it's not a "Camaro" (big deal) and the current name it has won't pull any buyers here.

From a product point of view, I think the Monaro nameplate has a particular demographic attached to it. The uninformed might avoid it becuase it was essentially a short wheelbase Commodore in the past (which some people may not have wanted) and value for money was questionable against other sports cars, and the people familiar with it might see it as a cop out or cash grab because certain design features are no longer there but the name still is. That might be reinforced moreso by the fact that the Mustang is now sold here.

At a minimum, I think GMH should rejig their advertising strategy and promote other things/features/technologies. The only reason I remember finding out they sold a Malibu was becuause I read an article about how terribly they were selling. Can't ever remember seeing an ad for it or just about any other car sold by GMH apart from the Commodore (for obvious reasons) and maybe the Cruze. What is the point of selling a car if nobody knows it exists?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
mid range GM cars all suck anyway, Malibu, Epica, anything else.

Monaro has always been based on the current 4 door large car - that's what it is.

early ones were based on Kingswood, later ones Commodore.

I doubt we'd see that one in the article in production even though it's a nice looking car, and I doubt Monaro will live again.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
mid range GM cars all suck anyway, Malibu, Epica, anything else.

That's fair enough. I guess my point is though, once something semi-interesting or decent starts being sold by GMH, will it just fizzle out because of percieved quality/design associated with the brand or terrible advertising, and how will the particular nameplate they use effect that? Not to mention the cost and features of the car compared to others on the market.

The current AWD only Insignia they sell with an engine that sounds very similar to the one mentioned in this article starts at well over 50k in auto only. I'm under the assumption that not many people know about it (I only saw it because I happened to be on Holden's site). Poor advertising with high buy-in price and seemingly limited options just seems like the perfect storm for it not to sell compared to other similarly priced/speced cars (the Evo and WRX spring to mind particularly with the available aftermarket support), and also even within Holden's own range.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I dont care that the Monaro doesnt have a V8. The GM V8s are dinosaurs and there is much better tech out there now.

Im more offended that people keep using the Monaro name as click bait and link every single GM car that happens to be a coupe with the name.

Its not going to be called a Monaro. Ever.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Im more offended that people keep using the Monaro name as click bait and link every single GM car that happens to be a coupe with the name.

News.com.au should just be called "The Clickhole". The only thing they have to do with news is the domain name.

R

Risky

It looks as though that Buick snuck into the Jaguar factory & stole a Jag shell.