Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New or old engine mounts?

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Hey guys!

Long story short, had a new engine put in and alot work done 10 months ago (VP V6). The work done Included the engine mounts, while i was under there the other day the engine mounts looked torn and cracked.

To me it looks like the mechanics have taken old mounts, painted them black, and charged me for new ones.

Before i go in there and have a chat, could i grab some opinions from the photos below?

2013-01-09 12.30.20.jpg
2013-01-09 12.30.26.jpg
2013-01-09 12.30.47.jpg
2013-01-09 12.31.15.jpg

Cheers for the comments!

DavoVP

Reaction score
Id say they are new repco shitters, Hollow or " solid " as they like to call them. Basically just hollow and do #### all in the way of vibration dampening.

I bet you will find if you pulled them out they do not have the fluid filled bladder like the genuine or the Mackay branded ones.

The cheap repco jobs and even some of the cheaper fluid filled ones are normally sprayed black. The expensive genuine or Mackay one's are not.

This is just in my experience.....

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
wow, thats crazy that new ones (even cheap ****) will tear like that after just 10ish months :O

Whats a cheap one worth compared to a more expensive one? I was charged $135ea?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm sorry, you were charged HOW MUCH?

Even genuine Mackay hydraulic (A2546H) mounts are only $80-90 each. I think. Possibly less.

No, they're not old, but yes, they are cheap.
The "cracking" you see is just paint flaking off when the mounts flex. It's not a bad thing.

Basically you got ripped off, but they haven't done anything wrong.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I bet you will find if you pulled them out they do not have the fluid filled bladder like the genuine or the Mackay branded ones.
The cheap repco jobs and even some of the cheaper fluid filled ones are normally sprayed black. The expensive genuine or Mackay one's are not.
This is just in my experience.....

That's good to hear, My new ones arrived today. and they appear to be Mackay branded.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I'm sorry, you were charged HOW MUCH?

Even genuine Mackay hydraulic (A2546H) mounts are only $80-90 each. I think. Possibly less.

Ah, thats frustrating, everything these mechanics have done has been done cheap, half arsed, and we've been charged like crazy.

Thanks for the advise guys, i guess ill just have to wear this one.