Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Paint

Mr_Calais

go the K's
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Calais and 03 VY storm ute 05 hilux
Hey just wanted to know from people who have had the experience i want to get a new paint job but jus want to get my calais back to the original colour which i think is quite nice its the marinello red:yeah: all i want to do is the exterior not all the rest agian like inside and inside door trims etc and was woundering how much i would be looking at in price range for a paint job in the northern side of sydney if that helps
Thanks

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
It really depends on the condition of your current paintwork and how much you want to spend, the original paint is done in acrylic, if you get it painted in 2pac you really should strip the car back to bare metal.
The 2 paints react differently to heat etc and you have have problems with the 2pac down the track.
Otherwise if the primer isnt breaking down you could have it sprayed in acrylic and it will be sweet.

Personally 2pac gives a better finish, and is a better paint all round, most panel shops have stopped using acrylic but wil be able to order it in if you request it.
You will need to get the front & rear screens removed, also the calais side moulds from the doors, stress to them to be careful removing them, as they are screwed and clipped on.

cheers
Scott

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
i've had mine done about a year ago in the standard acrylic, looks as good as 2pac with the clear coat on it and its still all genuine...

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
If ya know the right people it can cost stuff all. The first time I did mine I did all the prepping myself, then a mate painted it and didn't charge me coz I help him out a bit. That was done at my mates place out the back in the shed....was a pretty dodgy job haha, only painted the outside. The paint and other stuff required (sandpaper etc etc) cost all up bout $250, which was everything from start to finish. I didn't get a clear put on tho which I highly regret now....looks like **** without it and it chips waaaay to easy.....thats with acylic btw.

Now I'm doing a full respray, inside and out. As I help out the boss of a local crash repair place, he lets me use the workshop when i want. This time it's still gonna cost me stuff all......prolly bout the same price again. Last time I didn't use primer or clear, but I had to buy the stuff to prep the car.....this time I don't have to buy the stuff to prep it (as it's all in the workshop), but I have to buy primer and clear....so it will work out about the same.