Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Project.... VK

Mulder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Hello everyone. Sorta new to all this forum stuff but i thought i would chuck up some pics of my $300 special. looks all pretty much standard inside which i was a fan of. Picked it up from a mates, mates, uncle ( usual story ) for 300 bucks with some spares. Found a blue 308 and trimatic gearbox for $450 (engine) $150 (gearbox) which i pick up next week and start to tear down to put a few bigger better parts into. Thought i would get your opinoins on what you's think?? Just wanna get a nice streeter with a bit of pep in it's step when i put the foot down.

Fingers crossed these pics work. They are of where i found it to what i have it at now. Amazing how much just a simple clean does. Don't think there in order either!
Let me know what you think!

Cheers Leigh.

Attachments

• 2011-03-06 13.17.01.jpg
    2011-03-06 13.17.01.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 409
  • 2011-03-06 14.06.40.jpg
    2011-03-06 14.06.40.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 1616.jpg
    1616.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 366
  • 1621.jpg
    1621.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 403
  • 1637.jpg
    1637.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 2011-02-27 07.33.36.jpg
    2011-02-27 07.33.36.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Please Please Please Please Please Please Please tell me you are going to remove the alteza taillights and fit the two spare ones you have :D, holy crap the bonnet came up up alright compared to before. You may run into rego issues with a blue 308 but a can of black paint will be suffice for alot of roadworthy guys.

Keep us posted.

Mulder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
hahahaha Tail lights are only in there while i am stuffing around with it... i can't stand those alteza tail lights. Thanks for the heads up on the blue engine, Will make sure that i get that taken care of! the whole car will get sanded back and sprayed again, when you get up close the paint is shocking at the moment. but yeah will try and keep updates current.. Cheers mate!

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
all in all a good buy mate im hoping to find something like that.....I have a dream!!!...project sinister its called I want to build up a VK for no more than 20 grand with no mates no friends who are painters mechanics etc i want to get a VK in a magazine to show you dont have to be a drug lord to build a good quality car ive been toying over the idea for ages its possible also there is a 6 month deadline (just to make it harder) a lot of work will be done by me but the break down consists of

car purchase (thats the hard part finding a straight VK with no rust) $600
Paint ( satin black... body work done by me so it just needs to be sprayed $2000
Engine gear box 308 non efi (ebay /trading post/ wreckers /forums mildly worked if possible) $5000
Diff (ebay/trading post/wreckers/forums) $400
18"Alloys and tyres (black/chrome) $2000
Interior (black late model front seats or after market seats... rear VK seat dyed roof vinyl dyed or ) $2000
front end rebushed front and rear lowered coils/shocks $2000
exhaust twin non stainless or stainless if price is there $1500
odds and ends such as windscreen lights tail lights bolts nuts fuel pump hoses fittings simple stereo etc $4500

whilst there are some out there who think you cant get a quality car into magazines for anything under $100 grand i still think project sinister could get in at least to show people you dont have to sell drugs to do it...i know you can spend easily 10s of thousands on engine and paint but thats not my plan its a budget build for the common bloke there are corners i can cut as well such as interior work... a lot of it i can do the body prep ill do and it will be straight...the engine ive seen them cheaper and going well theres a 308 black motor i know thats mildly worked cam ported accessories gilmer drive for $4000 ...why not efi? cost and everyone is doing it... its going to be car that will be different and cheap but a good quality car and later on you can add to hopefully in the not to distant future the dream will come true....if i pull my finger out this weekend ill photoshop what the car should look like...btw why satin black? its sinister there will be no chrome!!! ok the wheels will have chrome but thats it lol

so give me that VK now lol

Mulder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
lol..... got that pretty well mapped out! yeah i don't want to build a car for a magazine, i want to build it so it looks tuff, sounds tuff and so i can put it in the shed and pull it out later on in life and hopefully not be such a common car. You can get a decent look, sound and stance of the vk's with not many modifications. I want to keep 90% of it original such as interior, stero & external body and was thinking of putting a set of V5 simmons wheels on it. Like the old bathurst days. which i will achieve under the 20G mark! My mate gave me his old VK the other day aswell, if you lived up here you could of had that one after i pinch a few things off it, lol.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
lol as long as the body is good mate lol yeah the vk has a tough look and for sure you can build 1 under 20 g and still get the look you want what you want to do sounds great

Mulder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
lol.... i forgot to mention, the V8 high rise manifold and air cleaner. reverse scoop on the bonett, with another bonett with a whole cut out for the air cleaner, the simmons, a touch lower in the arse end and two dump pipes out the back. Should get the look i am chaseing after that.