Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Queensland P-Plate laws

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
nup, you should be fine, as long as they dont bring it in early.

"modified" cars, should only apply to modifications to the engine.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
I tend to agree that p platers shouldnt be allowed to drive powerful cars, that being said they can still get into plenty of trouble in almost any modern car with fuel injection.

When I was on my P,s this type of thing wasnt a big problem as young people generally werent as affluent as they are now. Neither me nor any of my friends at the time could afford anything powerful as they were too expensive, but now I see lots of young people driving XR6 turbos, Skylines, WRX,s, etc. The first car with any kind of power I owned was my NXR with 105kw when I was 22 which isnt that powerful and it was FWD anyway so I couldnt go sideways around corners.

I got into plenty of trouble in that car but I never overstepped my own limits, in my opinion I think the passenger curfew will have a positive effect as I always had people "egging me on" as soon as I got a sports car, but I never got drawn into doing things other people told me to do. I think a lot of teenagers get killed because they are trying to impress their mates and bite off more than they can chew. Ill bet that the guy on the news in the wheelchair wasnt telling his mate to stop, he was probably telling him to go faster. If it was his friend he would know how that person drives and still made the choice to get in the car with him. People always change their opinion as soon as the shoe is on the other foot, he probably thought it wouldnt happen to him.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Yeh im sure its only applys for the ppl that get it on or after the law comes in the rest are safe. but it does suk tho, who are thay to say wot u can an cant buy wot a load of crock S*$T

my 2 cents

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh i do agree with both as both have there ups an downs, but it all comes down to the ppl that have done the wrong things that really made it harder for the new starters?

NateGL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY-S-II
hehehe i gav up reading the rest aftr bout the 3rd post so correct me if im rong :D

hehe aprently in victoria with the new law's coming in its just power to weight ratio 125kw at the wheels max... and yea cant b modded with turbo n stuff but with that said u r aloud to drive a stoke standard performance car.. so i cant drive say a modded nissane 180sx with 180kw at the wheels but i wud b aloud to drive a stoke latest ferrari n it b legal to me thats a bit wak.. also aprently u cant hav passangers aftr a certain time next yr in vic on ur P's (this law only applys to the ppl who get their P's aftr it has came into effect)

i duno if wat i said is correct but just things ive heard from ppl old n young saying bout the new vic laws for next yr...

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
hmm.. i was gonna move bak 2 qld but think ill stay in melb.. lol.. welcome to the **** that is the 21st century.. and AMEN 2 u mate! lol. and 2 any1 that knows a lot about the new p plate laws in vic.. what would happen if someone who had a yr left on their p's gets their license suspended?? like if they were good n didnt get it cancelled would they be able to boycot the new laws??? cuz thats a crock of **** if i eva saw one!! grr

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
but i gotta admit i do kinda agree with the not being allowed to drive highly powerful cars.. someone whos had their license less than 12 months cant seriously be able to control it as well as they should be!! meh. thats my 2 cents anyway

NateGL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY-S-II
i doubt if u get suspended on ur P's the new law's will kick in on u.. coz u hav already legit got ur P's yrs b4 the new laws.. but u might prob get like the hooligan plates if those are even true n coming out...

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
i think i have read most of it rite but for all us who have our p's now we wont be affected? correct me if im in plz but im hopen i read rite lol heres the link cop an paste it

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/young_drivers_fact_sheet_provisional.pdf/$file/young_drivers_fact_sheet_provisional.pdf