Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Queensland P-Plate laws

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Ok, I'm 42...P-plate laws don't affect me...but....

How stupid are they going to be?

The new laws mean under 25's are banned from V8's, turbocharged vehicles, and modified cars.

I assume none of these lawmakers have driven even a standard 6 cylinder late model Commodore or Falcon? They'll go quite well enough to get you into trouble...as a matter of fact, they go harder than most V8's of twenty years ago.

Another stupid point is the "public face" they have (literally) wheeled out in front of the cameras for a nice emotive touch. His name is Shem Aitkin, and is in a wheelchair after a high speed crash in a turbocharger car with a friend who died.
This naive young man is being played for all he is worth by the government. He actually said tonight on the news "We were in a turbocharged high performance car, he was under 25, if these new laws had been in, I wouldn't be in a wheelchair and the accident wouldn't have happened".
Now how do I say this tactfully? No...no, I can't, so I'll just say it: "What bullshit!". Does he honestly think that having a turbo or not would have made a difference when you smack a light pole at 100km/hr or more? What if they had been driving a non-modified Ecotec VS, say, and had the same accident? What would the government want to ban then?

I really feel for you younger guys starting out...but as I said, they haven't noticed how hard a bog stock Commodore can accelerate...:w00t:

edit: it just struck me...does buying a standard car from a dealer who has put an "option pack" on it of a spoiler and mags constitute "modified"? That are casting as pretty wide net by just saying "modified", aren't they? My son is about to buy a second car, a used turbo-diesel Hilux ute...he'd better watch himself...that "turbo" in the governments eyes obviously makes it a road burning high performance death machine! After all, we all know that the only cars with turbos are all dangerous high performance cars...oh...better not let the government know about Puegoet and Volkswagen turbo-diesels...and most diesel four wheel drives...and those tiny slow little "Smart" cars...and numerous other slow-as-a-wet-week cars from over the years which use the turbo for mainly fuel economy and to squeeze more power out of a small capacity engine...that kind of thing might make them have to think, and we can't have that... :bang:

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Umm .. Not sure, but I know in NSW when they bought in this law that all Turbo Diesel cars were OK for them to drive... Might be different for you guys tho...

Also things like the Suzuki Cupacino and Daihatsu thing, that are both turbos are OK for them to drive...

To be totally honest, I can see the point to the laws.. I remember when I was learning to drive, we didn't have all the turbo options, all the V8's and performance cars and we grew up fine.. Why do you need such high performance cars to learn to drive in...

One of the guys I worked with, when he just got his P's he bought a Mitsubishi FTO. And he seemed to think that because he had a sports car, that his 2 years of driving, and him driving a sports car meant that he had better driving skills then me... At this stage I was not only a car driver, but a motorcycle driver with 10 years experience, and some defensive driving courses under my belt... But he was serious.. And that is the problem with these kids... Give them something that is AWD (WRX’s, Skylines etc.) or performs and they think they can handle it

There have been restrictions on motorcycles for ages, and no one complains about them... Why ... Because they are there to keep you safe... And not only to protect you, it is to protect your family that could be wiped out by these young drivers that think they can drive high performance cars and think the streets are their race tracks...

I am sure if that kid in the wheel chair was actually your kid, and instead of him being the drive he was a pedestrian or a victim of crime you would probably think differently.. But I don't say this to start a fight, but only point out there are 2 ways you can look at everything....

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Interesting, so under 25 year olds aren't allowed to drive turbo vehicles?

Starting when?

Looks like I'll have to sell my car and buy a charade. That's crazy

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
If they do the same as in NSW.. If you can prove you had the car before the law came in, it is OK for you to drive it...

I think also if you can prove it is your only family car, you can still drive it as you state that making you buy another car will cause financial difficulty...

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Wouldn't the laws just apply to new drivers? Seems a bit harsh if all under 25's with turbo, V8, etc have to sell their cars!!

Edit: 89vncommy beat me to that one!

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
what i want to know is what happens if u own a v8 or a "turbocharged" car. what happens when the laws come in. do u have to sell your car?

edit: u both beat me im a slow typer

and what do they class as modified?

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I believe that if you own it already it is OK. Modified I think meant that any car that required modifications to be passed by an engineer... But I did not look into the laws fully as it did not affect me...

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
It applies from July 1 2007, and only to people who get their P's on or after 01/07/2007

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone no if lowering a car is a "modification"

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
WAGON MAN said:
It applies from July 1 2007, and only to people who get their P's on or after 01/07/2007
i can get my p's at the start of next year so none of this matters to me?