Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Radiator But Temp Goes Half Way !

Rachly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Supercharge Calais Series 2
Hi Guys Again

Just a quick question I want to ask.

I brought a new 3 core radiator for my VL Commodore (mine is auto).
I had a cracked head for the second time so partner re bulid my motor. So he read get a 3 core. So got 3 core but just that the temp goes half way. Im worried about that, as before it wouldn't go that high. Has coolant in it and have replaced the themostat in it. But still runs half way. I brought the radator and partner put it in the car. He says it doesn't get hot, put hands on the hoses and doesn't get hot. Only been in the past 2 weeks!

Worry or not?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
has the system been bled properly?? If there is air in the cooling system it will read high temps, & can cause damage.

D.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
mine sits on half, good for running temp as everything is nice and warm. but yes make sure the head is bled properly too.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Rachly said:
Hi Guys Again

I had a cracked head for the second time so partner re bulid my motor. So he read get a 3 core. So got 3 core but just that the temp goes half way. Im worried about that, as before it wouldn't go that high. Has coolant in it and have replaced the themostat in it. But still runs half way. I brought the radator and partner put it in the car. He says it doesn't get hot, put hands on the hoses and doesn't get hot. Only been in the past 2 weeks!

Worry or not?

Some motors can run a bit warm when just been rebuilt(tight clearences) and should get better as it's run in more.
Also when you've done 500km throw out the oil 4 sum nice clean stuff and oil filter too!!:thumbsup:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
if you dont force water in until it flows out of both bleeder bolt holes the head will crack again

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Did he use an aftermarket thermostat?

Get it checked by a radiator place, mine runs on half, and got it checked and it is at 85 degrees.

Standard temp gauge will move quite lot when there is only a few degerees difference.

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
nothing to worry about, genuine thermostats run at about a 1/4 on the temp guage whereas the aftermarket ones (eg dayco) will run at about 1/2. just make sure the cooling system has been bled properly

adrian222

VL 5 speed now on 18's
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 3.0L 5 Speed
mine runs atr half and i have just got a new radiator as well. dont be worried. only get some concern if it starts to get any hotter like 3/4

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Rachly said:
Hi Guys Again

Worry or not?

That's normal.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
as long as it doesn't go any higher i wouldn't worry.