Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New/secondhand engine time

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
ok so i have either cracked my heads done my head gasket either way my engine is rooted (rough as f*** idle sorta like a jolting forward motion loss of coolant temp spikes) so obversely need replacing so my question is where to get a engine from ands whats a good price for an ecotec??? and how much to install or if i get one and u can install it pm me ill live on the sunnycoast

LS1FUN

Confused with life..
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Holden VS S-Pack
Can't help you but i'll be watching this thread as my engine overheated the other night. Smoke coming out of my engine bay, water pump and starter motor rooted so there's a chance i'll be looking around for a new ecotec too and will be curious to see prices etc.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
the way i see it is like this...

if you have a VT chances are it's worth nothing on the market

if you wanna transplant an L67 or an LS1 you are up for a world of $$$$, waiting and niggles

if you want the least time off the road, get another ecotec and slap it in

if you want the motor to last another 100,000km+ get it cleaned up and stuff before you put it back in the car

there's many VT to VZs that are written off with good motors and trains... heaps of opportunities to fix it properly

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
i paid $1450 for ecotec engine and trans installed from kumback in moorabbin. 2 day job. im happy

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
i paid $1450 for ecotec engine and trans installed from kumback in moorabbin. 2 day job. im happy

ive had plenty of work done at >>> kumback in moorabbin.nice guys and good work

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
if you are handy with eBay... good ecotecs go on ebay for around $400 to $500 if you play your cards right... sometimes you find really good ones at wreckers too. ecotecs are not that hard to find so don't go paying through the roof to obtain the motor itself, it is more the labour part that costs. if you get an ecotec out of the same model commodore as yours you wont need to muck about with changing looms or anything, it will be a straight swap.

hope this helps mate