Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New setup advice before i buy

jasong337

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Before I go ahead and buy the gear I need some advice, this is what I've planned in my head for my 2011 SV6

Morel Hybrid 602 (front stage run active with HERTZ HDP4) 150w to each midrange + tweeter
Morel Ultimo 12.2 (run with HERTZ HDP1) 1000w
Sound deaden boot and front doors

Does this sound like a good SQ system?? Have I missed anything?? Im not running rears btw

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Sound deaden rear doors (regardless of rear speakers. floor, parcel shelf and under backseat.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Get the 2ohm version of the Ultimo. That amp will be giving it 1000rms at 2ohm while at 4ohm it will be giving it 600rms.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Sound deaden rear doors (regardless of rear speakers. floor, parcel shelf and under backseat.

Sound deadening is for eliminating rattles, not stopping external noise from entering the vehicle.

I'd deaden the front doors, boot lid, and parcel shelf to begin with.

Deaden the outer "skin" of the front doors, then seal all the "service" holes in the front doors with painted MDF or acrylic sheet, as it makes a huge difference to midbass response, then deaden over that.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
That's actually not quite right. Sound deadening is exactly that. Sound Deadener. It stops frequencies resonating in panels and escaping out the other side and is designed to keep more sound INSIDE the car. Helping to stop rattles is just a by product of this (because the panels are now thicker and require more energy to move)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Sound deadening is for eliminating rattles, not stopping external noise from entering the vehicle.

I'd deaden the front doors, boot lid, and parcel shelf to begin with.

Deaden the outer "skin" of the front doors, then seal all the "service" holes in the front doors with painted MDF or acrylic sheet, as it makes a huge difference to midbass response, then deaden over that.

No. Sound deadening reduces panel resonance and DOES reduce external noise from entering and internal noise from leaving. I've experienced it first hand with several of my cars. Deadening didn't really reduce my rattles, but separating the vibrating items with foam did.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Hurts a little dont it?

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
No, if you want to suggest someone waste money pointlessly sound deadening the floor, then go for it... lol

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thats where the majority of road noise comes from... up from the road and through the exhaust.