Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New smoking laws

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
well I'm not geting into this debate, but apparently the federal government is looking to outlaw smoking entirely in australia within the next 20 years, but there are a few problems if this happens.
1) gov't makes too much money from tobacco sales, and in fines from smoking in smoke-free zones ($175 a pop)
2) black market trade will be absolutely friggen massive
3) gov't starts to jack up prices on everything else to make up for lost tax revenue
and these came to me just now typing this tome, so there's probly heaps more

oh, and just for interest sake, NT gov't is looking to raise the price of alcohol in abpriginal communities to curb violence (they get booze at less than 1/2 price we pay)so many racial slurs could be found there, but I'm not gonna do that, just letting you know how the gov't increase or decrease prices to suit themselves or the "political" climate

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
spac said:
Ban the smokes, they are useless?? Who can honestly say the enjoyed starting up smoking??? And with the money saved you could buy PREMIUM petrol!!! lol:thumbsup:

i smoke & i still buy premium

B

Baritji

Charg'd (sexy vn chick lover) said:
i smoke & i still buy premium
Ditto ;)

And whoever asked why we smoke..... I smoke because I want to smoke. Do you drive? That might kill ya! Do you drink? That might give ya liver cancer. Do you ever open the vents on your cars a/c or your cars windows? Diesel fumes will kill ya. I mean ****, water can kill ya in a number of different ways....

We all do things we know are stupid and/or dangerous to ourselves and sometimes others..... I dont see how smoking is any different.

I dont rekon tobacco will ever be banned... And if it is the pollies better watch their backs! Someone with nicotine withdrawl is certainly someone you shouldnt piss off :p

B

BoostinJet

Banning smoking in pubs & bars? Like someone said they sell grog so people can get drunk & go out the front an throw up everywhere. An then they try & complain about the smell of smoke? Doesn't seem right.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
pubs are going to smell STRANGE without ciggies! lol, I'm just a social drinking smoker, feels natural to have a smoke with a nice XXXX, but can give that up easy enough...

with the curfews that pubs are doing, it's annoying, gonig out now for a smoke at 2pm at gilhooleys, and then not allowed back in is freaking annoying, especially as the laws JUST came in and these bouncers are being hard asses about it...

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Ditto

And whoever asked why we smoke..... I smoke because I want to smoke. Do you drive? That might kill ya! Do you drink? That might give ya liver cancer. Do you ever open the vents on your cars a/c or your cars windows? Diesel fumes will kill ya. I mean ****, water can kill ya in a number of different ways....

We all do things we know are stupid and/or dangerous to ourselves and sometimes others..... I dont see how smoking is any different.

I dont rekon tobacco will ever be banned... And if it is the pollies better watch their backs! Someone with nicotine withdrawl is certainly someone you shouldnt piss off :p

Smartest comments i've seen in this thread. I'll quit when i'm ready.
Fair enough common courtesy comes in when in a large group or a venue containing both smokers/non smokers. Works both ways but doesn't it.

~M

C

cromagnonman

Smoking Survey

On the topic of smoking... i am currently researching how people react to the labels on cigarette packets (and in advertising) for my Uni dissertation. I have set up a short online survey and I would happily donate to you my first born child if you'd fill it out. Should only take about 3 minutes and you can win a $50 voucher to Amazon.com

http://www.smokingsurvey.net

worldrecord.jpg

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
Yay i quit 3 and a half weeks ago. Its been hard at the best of times but fruit tingles got me thru. Everytime i wanted a smoke i had a fruit tingle. I gained 8kgs since i quit coz i can taste food now but im not stressed as the wife has me walking which now isnt so breath taking ha ha ha so to speak. YAY FOR ME!!!!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Easy solution, stop smoking :p

I'm just kidding, I know it's not easy, but try to go without when you're in public, eventually your body will get used to it and before you know it you'll have cut back a lot more.

And yes, they should completely ban smoking in public places. I don't want to breathe that in, it's bad enough that I have to breath car fumes. Why add to the problem?

L

LeBoofer

Personally, I think the smoking laws are a good move. I dont smoke, I have given it a crack but figured out its not the thing for me. I have no problem with smokers, just those that arent very considerate and blow it all over the place.

Previously, people were posing the question why do people smoke? That probably isnt the right sort of question to ask. There then was the response of why drive, etc which is a fair response. My response also to that is not to undermine your choice, but to say that sure there are many things in this world that will kill you, some you can control and many others you cant, one of which you cant control is getting cancer, something I should know as I research cancer. But the cancinogens we 'consume' (not really consume but the word works) can be minimised, and stopping smoking is a good way to dramatically lower the chance of developing cancer (this is reliant upon several factors, but in the majority of cases this is true). I dont at all mean to say you should stop, that is your choice and none of my business, I just want the facts to be out there for everyone to know and understand.