Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new spark plugs for vz commodore

vz23kq

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore lumina
hey people.
when i go to start the ignition on me vz, it sometimes laggs a bit or even doesnt kick over, many people have told me its my spark plugs, well i think its time to change them and i have no idea what to change them to.. buy original from holden for the vz or a more sports brand? ive been told to look for platnium spark plugs or even laser platnium. whats the go what should i be looking for or does this even matter?

Trevhead62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute. 2011.
How good is your battery? Try a different one. One that's known to be good. I've heard that a drop in cranking voltage can cause that.

abg

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ v6
I would definitely look at the battery first, then possibly the starter motor. When you say it doesn't kick over do you mean it doesn't turn over at all? Or it keeps turning over but doesn't fire?

NGK platinum plugs are $70 from Supercheap, I would only buy parts from Holden as a last resort. They're not the easiest engine to change plugs on as the intake manifold needs to come off, but it shouldn't take more than an hour.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
If you do buy spark plugs, just go to Holden and buy the genuine plugs they supply. Obviously they get a company whether it NGK or the like to make them and they put their name on them, but just buy from Holden. Alot of the time Holden Genuine Parts are cheaper than other shops for aftermarket products. Last year I think I paid around $6.50 per plug as I get trade from Holden. But retail I think from memory was around $10-$12 each.

This is a no brainer putting in the same plugs that Holden use, especially if you car is albeit stock. I use all genuine parts where possible most of the time as they fit, and they do the job perfectly for what they were intended for.

Goodluck :)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Interesting point I noted that the intake manifold has to be removed to change the spark plugs.
I can't see anything for the plastic covers left and right. Sounds like an involved job for a techie, certainly not a DIY like myself (my car's under warranty / 5Y, so I don't do this stuff now). Are there gaskets that routinely go in during plug changes etc.?

As a quick aside, maybe somebody could enlighten the curious amongst us about Holden's SIDI — something to do with spark plugs.
What is it? What makes it superior in smaller engines? And has it really been around longer than Holden claiims to have discovered it?? My friend's VE OMEGA SIDI, with smaller engine (3.0) appears to be extremely quiet and smooth and more powerful than the bigger Alloytec I have. All things considered, probably some big fundamental differences...

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
The engine covers just kinda click into place, no bolts or anything.

In regards to the plugs, platinum/iridium/precious metal plugs are standard on the Alloytec motor. They last for about 80,000-100,000km as opposed to normal plugs, which last approximately 10,000km. As others have mentioned, it's a bit of an involved job as you need to remove the intake manifold to get to the bastards, which is why you'd want long-life plugs in there.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
"..platinum/iridium/precious metal plugs"

Wha—? Strewth! One learns something utterly invaluable and interesting here every day! :)

trenooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz v8 wanna be
also when changing the plugs for the first time, a new gasket will be needed as the old one will break and cause vacuum leaks, looking at around 60? for a new one

abg

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ v6
As a quick aside, maybe somebody could enlighten the curious amongst us about Holden's SIDI — something to do with spark plugs.
What is it? What makes it superior in smaller engines? And has it really been around longer than Holden claiims to have discovered it?? My friend's VE OMEGA SIDI, with smaller engine (3.0) appears to be extremely quiet and smooth and more powerful than the bigger Alloytec I have. All things considered, probably some big fundamental differences...

Mitsubishi was the first in modern times to use direct injection, starting in 1996 and with over 1 million examples sold. In the following years it's been used by just about every major car manufacturer. Holden being 10+ years behind in technology and design is not exactly out of the ordinary, they're definitely not known for innovation. Wikipedia has lots of info on direct injection here Gasoline direct injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
"..platinum/iridium/precious metal plugs"

Wha—? Strewth! One learns something utterly invaluable and interesting here every day! :)

Standard plugs have a nickel centre electrode, while (as the name suggests) precious metal plugs have centre electrodes made from platinum or iridium. With higher melting points (or something like that) the platinum/iridium plugs are more durable, and last a lot longer.