Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New speakers static noise when on pause or volume 0?

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
Hey, i have recently got some alpine type r splits put in running off an amp and i have noticed that i hear a hissing/static kind of noise when i pause the song or put the volume to 0 (think i can hear it a little while the song is playing too) if i turn the headunit off it will stop after about 2 seconds, also it seems if i put my foot on the brake the noise is a little louder for some reason, and when fading my left or right speaker it fades the wrong speaker in the front (could this be that the wires are in the wrong spot on the amp?
Cheers

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
most likely you dont have the negative from the amp properly connected, mine did this before until i fixed the negative from my amp, it was really staticy espescially when id use my indicators and it s**tted me to tears

check that your negative has a solid ground, you may have to sand paint back to bare metal where it is terminated, also if you can use just a general multimeter and check the continuity between the negative on your amp and another known solid ground in your car

as for fading the wrong way i would say yes chances are something is around the wrong way, easiest way is to swap the rcas from left to right

hope that helps let me know how you go mate

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
most likely you dont have the negative from the amp properly connected, mine did this before until i fixed the negative from my amp, it was really staticy espescially when id use my indicators and it s**tted me to tears

check that your negative has a solid ground, you may have to sand paint back to bare metal where it is terminated, also if you can use just a general multimeter and check the continuity between the negative on your amp and another known solid ground in your car

as for fading the wrong way i would say yes chances are something is around the wrong way, easiest way is to swap the rcas from left to right

hope that helps let me know how you go mate
ok so i should open up the bonnet and sand back the battery terminal what the amps connected too? and with the wires on the amp just switch them around yeah?
thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You are crossing the signal from left to right channels that is why it is noisy and fading incorrectly.

Make sure you have the positive and negative on your speakers the right way around and change the left and right over on the amp for the front speakers.

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
You are crossing the signal from left to right channels that is why it is noisy and fading incorrectly.

Make sure you have the positive and negative on your speakers the right way around and change the left and right over on the amp for the front speakers.
ok, im not too sure about the positive and negative on the speakers, i didnt install them but ill go after after and change the 4 cords around, would it be 2 tweeter cords and 2 speaker cords? hope they arent all mixed up totally

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
just went out then and moved the cords around but still faded the wrong way

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
unless i moved the wrong ones around, i kno the installer put in the rca leads for when i get my parcel shelf speakers in the future, does 1 speaker only use 1 rca lead? because i have 4 blue rca leads into my amp but only 2 speakers at the moment

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You don't sound like you are very knowledgeable. Take it back to the installer and get them to fix it. The noise is most likely from RCA wires being laid next to power wires. The fade will be as simple as getting the RCAs checked that they are on the correct inputs/outputs.

daNc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II
You don't sound like you are very knowledgeable. Take it back to the installer and get them to fix it. The noise is most likely from RCA wires being laid next to power wires. The fade will be as simple as getting the RCAs checked that they are on the correct inputs/outputs.
yeah you're right im not very experienced in this stuff

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
ok so i should open up the bonnet and sand back the battery terminal what the amps connected too? and with the wires on the amp just switch them around yeah?
thanks
No, the amps should be grounded in the boot (if that's where they're mounted). But if you paid someone to install the stereo and you have problems, just take it back, don't mess with it because then they can blame you for causing the problems.