Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New speakers worse than stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STARK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA II 5.7
i just bought some 210W-40w rms (The stocks only being 15w rms) fusion 6" speakers for the front of my berlina and i wired them up and they were worse than the stocks!?!?
they were not as loud and probably worse quality.. I changed the wires around to see if they were back to front but it was still the same.. any ideas? help?

Think im gonna take them back to the shop :\

Edit: I know bugger all about speakers so i could of possibly missed something?

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Fusion is a cheap and nasty brand. Spend the extra cash...a decent set of fronts can be picked up for as little as 150-200 bucks. Also the speakers are going to be limited by the head unit n im guessing you"ve still got stock. I hated my stock head unit n it had to go, I remember turning it up n after about 40'ish?...the volume didn't increase at all back when everything was stock, very average all round audio in the VY's.

If you want to know more about good brands just type audio/speakers into the search section in the top right corner, theres a tonne of threads talking about it.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Fusion. Enough said. Pay the price get some decent front splits and an amp.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep. Can be worse

Stock speakers were designed to actually sound ok to match the headunit.

Throw in different and cheap speakers and get a bad sound potentially

Last edited:

STARK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA II 5.7
Thanks for the replies! Back to the shop they go

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I have found the majority of the speakers at your local autobarns etc are crap.
I have tried a lot of the mainstream brands and been grossly disappointed. 20 years ago, I had a pair of 90W 2 way 6x9 Pioneers on my rear shelf. They had an awesome sound. Decent bass, excellent mid range, good high range. Eventually the sun killed the cones of the speakers, so I had to buy some new ones. I've tried the usual autobarn range of Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony and nothing has come close to matching my old 90W 2 way Pioneers. They all have a tinny, shallow sound and the bass has a harsh punch instead of having a nice solid thump. The only thing they do well is the higher frequencies. I listen to a lot of old skool rock, so I need a nice deep bass (not doof doof) and a 'warm' filling mid range. I don't want a bulky, heavy subwoofer setup, I shouldn't even need one for a modest setup. I ended up buying an amp believing it was the head unit, but all the amp did was amplify the **** sound and further distort the speakers.

I've spent of lot of money and effort on home audio. Good quality home audio gear power rating is usually rated in RMS and distortion levels at specific db levels. With my car, I'm not that fussy (because you are never going to overcome the fact that the acoustics of a car are terrible). I just wanted decent sound for when I'm doing long drives on the highway. So I didn't go into the research too deep, just picked reputible brands, looked at the power rating on the box and assumed 240-300w peak power handling would at least handle the quoted 45W from my head unit (which of course would only be a peak rating anyway). WRONG.... most of these supposed 300W speakers have a 'nominal' power rating of 20-30W max. Really it should have clicked when I saw the pissy little magnet on the back of them, but as said I'm not a big car audio person, so didn't think much about it.

So I've ditched those speakers and started doing my homework, read a whole heap of speaker reviews, tests and decided on a set of 'Kicker' 6x9 speakers. Of course they cost double the price, but they have a peak 300W rating with a 120W nominal. The magnet on these suckers is heavy, and about 3/4 the size of the speaker. And a MASSIVE difference in sound quality. Only problem is it now highlights that the Pioneer speakers in my doors are junk. So they'll also be going to the bin and I'll do my research on on 6 inch door speakers.

But yeah, kind of annoys me that manufacturers are putting BS figures on their speakers. It's VERY misleading. Cheaper home audio gear tends to quote PMPO figures, but the difference between the peak and RMS or nominal figures are not nearly as great as car audio.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Darren...Orion XTR's front and back...its what I"ve got n their awesome.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...But yeah, kind of annoys me that manufacturers are putting BS figures on their speakers. It's VERY misleading. Cheaper home audio gear tends to quote PMPO figures, but the difference between the peak and RMS or nominal figures are not nearly as great as car audio.

It's just what they do because it's mostly kids buying the speakers and they want a 1,000,000W stereo to brag about to their mates. Anyone that knows about car audio knows not to look at MAX power rating figures, much like you know not to take much notice of PMPO ratings.

If you look at the packaging closely, the mainstream brands still advertise the nominal/RMS rating of the speakers. I've also found that most speakers sound crap in a car anyway unless you separate the front from the back sufficiently, even my $1,999 2-way component speakers (and no, I didn't pay anywhere near that RRP :) ). Just whacking them into the stock spacers behind the trim isn't enough to make them sound good.

STARK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BERLINA II 5.7
Thanks for the replies fellas, I took the speakers back and I think ill wait till I have some better funds to get the good brands from a proper audio shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.