Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New SS-V Redline rattle coming from under the car

Wogachino

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF SS-V Redline
Hey all,

Picked up my first Holden two weeks ago. When I test drove the car (750km demo) I could clearly hear a metalic rattling noise coming from what I'm presuming to be the cats of the muffler. I asked the salesman and he told me it's normal and the sound would go away as I drove the car more. I now have 1900kms on the car but the rattling noise is still there without any difference in loudness. The sound gets louder the heavier I accelerate but while Idle, it cannot be heard.

I was wondering if any members here have experienced the same noise and if it indeed go away the more the car was driven. All info and advice is welcome.

Also to clarify, the noise is always there, even if I do a 2+hour drive.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
My May-15 made VF SSV ute has the same metallic clicking noise when accelerates, especially up hill. I were told by the dealer workshop, independent tunning workshop and few other owners "it is normal".....Have covered over 8000 km so far and fuel consumption around 11+ litres per 100 kms, haven't missed a beat (except the noise which can't hear when window is up).

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
Its really sounding from your description that you have a loose baffle in some exhaust component. Take it up with the service manager and if he reckons they all sound like that ask for a drive in another one!

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Yes this is normal, and when I say normal I mean it is a common thing for these engines, just part of the design I guess. And don't get your hopes up, because it will never go away, just gonna have to get used to it. My ssv wagon has done over 20k and it's no better, no worse. As far as I know, there is no fix for it. But I am used to it now, you will eventually get used to it too, it drove me nuts for a few weeks.

cassgazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline
Don't accept them telling you that it is a "normal" sound.
We have an April 2015 Redline sedan, and it does not, and has never had this noise. 15,000kms.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Been to "hell" and back with the local dealer and Holden customer services, many phone calls, test drives and nothing can be done as they said those noises are "normal" on some cars. Got use to it now, so I may miss it if it is "cured".....Ha..Ha..Ha..

Ralph

Reaction score
Yeah i have a slight noise that the car makes when i accelerate (doesn't make it i rev in neutral) - i cant work out if its just the noise the engine makes (first time driving a V8) or if it is something more ?