Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new steering wheel + airbag

dmar

kl
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has put a leather steering wheel in a vz exec replacing the rubber one? just got a couple questions regarding the switch as i want to put in a calais or berlina or whatever genuine leather wheel will suit:

- are the audio controllers easy to change over (unclip, remount?)
- can i unplug the air bag and stick it in the new wheel, is it like plug and play, for lack of a better term
- other than that is it a really easy job to switch them over?

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has put a leather steering wheel in a vz exec replacing the rubber one? just got a couple questions regarding the switch as i want to put in a calais or berlina or whatever genuine leather wheel will suit:

- are the audio controllers easy to change over (unclip, remount?)
- can i unplug the air bag and stick it in the new wheel, is it like plug and play, for lack of a better term
- other than that is it a really easy job to switch them over?
yes to all very easy to do m8 did mine last week took me about 10 mins

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
did u do this nicko? pics look cool

Last edited:

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Done mine three times now. piece of piss once you've done it once. the hardest part is separting the airbag from the wheel. Right angle, right size screwdriver blade, twisting in the correct direction. Everything else is easy

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

pixeldust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Worth emphasizing from the linked instructions: do not power up the car with the airbag disconnected, otherwise the control modules log a SRS fault (missing airbag) which can only be reset using tech2 (only at a service centre?).
Also, if the splines on the new steering wheel casting are significantly different from the steering wheel you are removing you might need to get the steering rack adjusted to get the steering wheel aligned with the wheels.

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
might be a silly question but...

can i put a VY steering wheel into my VZ?? is there anything different between them