Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new steering wheel

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
can i easily take my old steering wheel of at home with basic tools and put on a new one? cos frankly the vn steering wheel is horrible

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
you'll need a wheel lifter (should have them at super cheap or equivilent) and if your putting a new aftermarket wheel on you'll need a boss kit for a vn

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
you'll need a wheel lifter (should have them at super cheap or equivilent) and if your putting a new aftermarket wheel on you'll need a boss kit for a vn

No you won't.

After you take the horn cover off and remove the nut you can wiggle the wheel off. Theres a technique to it, but most people try to use force which isn't the way.

A steering wheel puller is the easiest way, but you do not NEED one. Probably are worth the money though as you'll end up removing more than one steering wheel in your lifetime if you're into cars.

voney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 3.8
I replaced the one on my VP when it's rubber was borked. I found the easiest way is to loosen the bolt but not all the way off and then grab the top of the wheel with your hands and pull against the bottom with you knees (your legs are really strong by the way), should give way easily. Just make sure you don't take the bolt all the way off or you may accidentally smack yourself in the face when it comes loose.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Wiggling the wheel from side to side is so much more effective. Short, sharp pulls, and it will come out within a minute.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
i took mine off on the weekend using 2 bolts and ans a cog from a bicycle and a shifter LOL

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
My VN wheel was extremely hard to get off. Tried wiggling it, pulling it, quick taps with a hammer, nothing. Then my harmonic balance puller kit arrived. Thought why not, same thing as a wheel puller.

Let me put it this way, I tried with a large shifter to a point I couldnt turn it anymore before rounding the bolt head. I got so frustrated with the bloody thing and got a socket + breaker bar. I thought the bolts would strip if I tried any harder but anger made me keep going then finally *CRACK* as the wheel crashed into the nut (make sure you leave the nut on the steering shaft as you pull it off!).

I highly recommend buying a puller. Because if its like mine, no way in hell are you getting it off by hand. :)

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
My stock wheel came off with a little bit of elbow grease, but my boss kit is definitely happy where it is, it isn't going anywhere, at least without some kind of puller and a socket, heh.

lachie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp commodore 3.8ltr v6
thanks for the advices guys, i will try and get the wheel of without the wheel puller with my old man as soon as the funds alow me to buy a new wheel (on extreemly tight budget for the next year) hoping to score one at a wrecker. if all else fails ill just give it to a mechanic.