Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New stereo system questions...

V

vl_boy03

Hi all,

Was just curious if anyone knows if the SONY XPLOD gear is anygood ? :confused:
@ my work we get a 25% discount off the stuff we buy from in store & most of the stereo gear they sell is SONY or KENWOOD.
just looking for a semi-cheap system (head unit, 6x9's & sub/s) cause not gonna keep this car for more then a year, just want something to keep everyone rocking during this time tho...

any info on anything to do with stereos would be greatly appreciated ! ;)

Cheers
Travis Morris
[email protected]

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
If you had a choice between Kenwood or Sony, I'd go Kenwood. I've heard both good and bad things about Sony, but more bad than good, it just seems that the quality isn't there. You can always take the system with you when you get another car.

V

vl_boy03

hey m8,

cheers for that reply it helps... ;)

one other question tho ?

what are the chances of mixing the system of both ? (cause i dont think we stock many kenwood subs... if we stock them @ all) :(
so a system that consists of a kenwood h/unit, kenwood 6x9's & a sony sub & amp ?
would this work or should i stick to buying one brand ?

cheers again :cool:

Travis Morris
[email protected]

T

t3zza

Mate will work BUT DON'T USE SONY AMPS OR SUBS, hehehehehe most people use Sony headunits and then like Kicker sub and amp or JL if you can afford it. Stick to the american brands, as sony, kenwood etc bullshit about there power ratings. Ie Sony amp claims its 250watt rms JL would say 150wat RMS..... just from experiance mate so yeah... ;)

V

vl_boy03

hey t3zza,

so sony & kenwood suck ?
where is a decent place to get the subs and amp from (im from perth) not many places around here there is an alberts audio or audiocom (sumthing like that...) about 10-15 mins away would that be a good place to start ?
like i said new to the this game so i havent found my feet yet...
but ill be getting stuck into the gear in the next month !
prolly end up with the sony deck cause i can get it cheaper & then have to fork out for the subs & amp ;) but should be worth it :) (if the car survives her 1st few months...lol... i wanned a torana or a commodore but parents would only let me get a holden apollo :( but its something 2 trash around in for a bit i supose.

cheers anyway....
any more info would be muchly appreciated !

Cheers
Travis Morris
[email protected]

T

t3zza

Mate they don't suck, but yeah depends what you want. My system is Pioneer and JL. But best place to look is on ebay. My head unit is normally 1 grand to buy at the shops got it on ebay for 500 bucks new. ;) Pioneer head units a pretty powerful with their mosfet output, but alpine is really good as well. Amp wise JL, Kicker to my eyes are the best and that goes the same with subs. But expect to pay nearly double the price for a JL sub compared to lets say a kicker or 3 times the amount of a Sony one. Its just Japs listen to different music than us, all that **** they listen to has different bass reponse. Lets face it, Jap music is weard and **** all these weard tiny noises high pitch noises. There subs design to make use of that, but if you listen to Rock, R & B, pop, dance and general music the ameriacan brand equipment is the way to go ;)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I've got alpine headunit, Pioneer fronts, ALpine rears, and Fusion subs and amps and I'm happy with it all, unfortunately that doesn't help you.

A mate of mines got an xplod head unit, its going strong never missed a beat, however his speakers died after a while and I have heard bad things about their subs.
Kenwood I've always been impressed with their sound, to me its what a stereo should sound like, however I always thought they were really expensive? could be wrong.

Anyway mate, you work at a stereo store or whatever, do the smart thing and ask them? If you work there and your asking someone that works there you should get an honest opinion.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
i went all fusion except the head unit i got pioneer and i tell you what for the low price fusion it goes and goes hard.

i heavily recommended fusion to anyone.

cheers

scott

p.s not many places stock fusion, DAMN IT ALL, in Adelaide anyway