Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NEW sub wiring help

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
g'dai guys. just after some help in the wiring of my system,
i've got a single 12" running off a two channel (bridged, running 800wRMS) unfortunatly, i've blown the subs voice coil (was second hand to start with) though ive been told i have to turn tha gain down, as the sub is only 550rms, single voice coil. though also wana no if the wiring into the sub i run is correct. its a dual lug terminal on the sub, so two pos two negs, im just running the wires to the outer pos n neg, is this correct?? cause i really dont wana blow another sub.
cheers

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
yer that sounds rite but if its single voice coil it should only have 2 terminals

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
you have blown the driver but want to know if you wired it right? what???
it does not matter because the driver will be useless now.:thumbsup:
heres a thought, either change the amp so you make it harder for yourself to blow the driver or get a new sub suited to the amp, be it bridged or normal.
silly boy.....

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
i've already bought a new sub mate, the other one was second hand, so chances are it was already thrashed.
its an audiobahn system, and i spoke to the audiobahn guys at autosalon, and this is the sub they told me suited best.
and i know the sub is buggered now, hence y i bought a new 1, though i was only asking about the wiring so as i dont blow a second sub within a couple of months. ? cheers

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the wiring wil not effect the ablility to blow the sub again. the way its being over driven will though. why dont you run the sub from the amp un-bridged?

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
To better answer your question,
What are the model No. of your sub and amp?

Your new dvc sub has two voice coils hence two sets of terminals. Normally, these must all be connected to operate the sub properly. Need to know what the sub and amp are to help.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
g'dai phree,
its only a single voice coil sub, but the audiobahn has dual terminals, not sure y.
its a audiobahn A8002T amp (running it bridged) and a audiobahn AW122N sub. the blown sub is audiobahn AW120T, also a single voice coil, and the old one was 500wRMS and the new one is 550wRMS.
cheers

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
did your first one, the one thats blown, have 2 sets of terminals?? Whats the model niumber for the new sub? same as the old one?

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Two sets of terminals for one voice coil, LOL.

The amp is claimed to produce 400wrmsx2@2ohms, so 800wrms into four ohms bridged. Significantly overpowering your sub. Be careful with the gain control and volume and it will be fine. Max out the gain and/or volume and the smoke will come out.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
lol non of u beleive me bout tha 2 terminals, ill get a pic if i can, there called dual lug terminals, there next to each other, not on tha opposite side of tha sub.
and as for overpowering tha sub by running it at 800rms at 4ohms, i was looking for a higher power audiobahn 12" (within a reasonable price) though tha audiobahn dealer at autosalon told me tha best match was tha AW122N, so thats wat ive got.