Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New T/B high idle

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
Hi Guys,
New here hope someone can help. Fitted a new 80mm t/b with the old TPS & IAC on my Y11 R8, had a mafless mail order tune, & 21/2" high flo cats as well, already had Sureflo 31/2" single cat back system & OTRCAI..
The new t/b came with an adapter so throttle cable has been reset & ok, plenty of slack.
When engine off the throttle is very smooth & returns no problem, when started idles ok, give it a rev & only returns to 2000-1500rpm. If i give it a blip it returns to idle, i have even loosened the TPS & IAC with the engine running, still no good, if i turn the engine off in the fast idle state, i can see the t/b return to the throttle stop. I have also disconnected the TPS cable & turned ignition on to reset the throttle position, no good either.
Any ideas before i head off to a local tuner next week?

Cheers
Briby

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
Hey Soop,
Don't think so, snaps back nicely with the engine off, the pedal seems a bit firmer, so i thought the spring would be alright, but i'm starting to suspect the TPS, suppose i could always put the old one back on and see what happens. Can't get any response from the seller.

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
Snaps back nicely with the engine off, pedal seems a bit firmer so i thought the spring would be ok.

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
Don't think so, can bring it back by hand no problem.

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
Just started it & gave it a rev by hand & it needed my help to return to idle, was looking at the old t/b & noticed the IAC port lines up with an opening in the manifold, so it looks like air is drawn in through a port above the t/b, through to the IAC, into the manifold, the adaptor has no opening to the manifold, could that be the problem?, surely the t/b manufacturer would know better, can't get any response from them.
What are your thoughts before i go drilling a hole or porting out the adaptor.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
Take it back, get a refund and buy a proper TB or even a ported stocker.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
little plastic bit that goes on the throttle body between the tps ... i had this problem . tiny piece of plastic slides onto where the tps goes so it can read properly .. it will probably still be on your old throttle body .

briby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 clubsport R8
I know what your talking about, feels like it's magnetised a bit & sticks to the shaft, but still in the TPS, taking it to a local tuner, they think it's the IAC, needs ECU tweak to work with the new T/B.
Thanks