Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Timing Belt Installation

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Hey!!!
Just wondering whats involved with replacing the timing belt in the rb30's? And also the distibutor gear?
We are fixing up my mums vlc before we sell.
Cheers

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the distributor head and rotor are straightforward, just do the wires 1 at a time and dont lose the screw that holds the rotor on the shaft

the parts may be expensive also a nissan head wont fit, although a nissan rotor will

the belt is complicated, get a workshop manual or photo copy the relavent pages from a manual at a library
I wouldnt bother changing the belt unless you think its about to break
you can usually pull the cover back a bit at the top to see the outside of the belt which gives some idea of its condition

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Replaced the Timing belt a few times on mine, mostly when the waterpump needed replacing.

Anyway, Ya have to pull the radiator out plus the fan and the pulley for the water pump and the shroud around the fan.

ya have to remove the top timing belt cover and then have to rotate the motor until you get to top dead centre etc.

It's a bit of mucking around and I remember the first time I tried it I was there for ages reading the manual and working out everything. You even have to pull off the crankshaft pulley, then the bottom timing cover.

There's lots more procedures but you need sockets, hex keys and patience if you've never done it before.

Also, as the other guy above said, I wouldn't tackle it unless you had a repair manual.

Even a simple thing like taking off the timing cover bolts can cause problems; some of the plastic washers on mine cracked and I had to buy new ones.

Anyhow, it will take you a while to do and don't forget that if you do the belt then you may need new radiator fluid too.

Cheers

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
I wouldnt bother changing the belt unless you think its about to break
you can usually pull the cover back a bit at the top to see the outside of the belt which gives some idea of its condition

thats not a good idea. it gives you no indication if the belt is stretched and sagging. when i pulled mine off it had no cracks in it at all but was as limp as an old man. the belt doesn't need to snap to do damage. it could spit some teeth and do major damage.

its recommended you do the timing belt anywhere from 60k to 100k. i bought my car from an old guy who'd never had it replaced and when i did it the car had 125k kms on it and the belt was stretched and sagging severely.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the info.

The car has done 180 odd k's. The distributor makes a real bad noise at about 1500 - 2000 rpm. Nearly 100% its the diz gear or bearing. Taken it to the workshop they done the timing/service ect and it still doesnt run right. Hard to start aswell sometimes. We have a new head for the diz, leads, plugs, afm ect. So we basically want to check out the distributor more closely and do the belt at the same time. Had a quick look the other day it looks pretty tired.

Cheers

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I had stacks of problems with mine not running well.

The bearing in the distributor was the problem!

I replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and also the Power Transistor etc etc and she still didn't run right.:cry:

In the end, what I found, was that the $6 bearing was rusted and it sent rust dust up into the the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS). ;)

It covered the slotted stainless steel plate and the CAS so the ECCS Module was getting buggered signals. When I replaced the CAS with a newy and cleaned the plate and the guts of the Distributor every thing was ok for about 3 weeks and then the car just wouldn't run. Obviously the dust was back. It was too, I took off the dust shield in the distributor and it was covered in brown dust.:ranting:

After much heart ache it was the bearing in the distributor which I was told should be replaced when you replace the CAS. :whistling

Anyway, that might be the problem.

Mine got that way because I like a nice clean engine but clean engine means moisture, and water got up in through a buggered gasket in the Dizzy Cap and made it's way down into the distributor.:bang:

So if you have never replaced the gasket where the distributor cap sits on the lip of the Distributor housing then I'd replace that when you replace the bearing.:thumbsup:

If you have a wood vice and a bit of time then you can replace the bearing your self. What I did was bought a crapo cheap distributor off Ebay for $10 and then I practiced the strip down on the crappy one first and then I took the one out my VL.;)

I've never had a running problem since and mine really goes well:)

Err, well, it did until a bearing went in the rear of the gear box. Anyway, she's nearly all back together and I'll be on the road soon.:D

Best of luck and I hope the suggestions help:)

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Holdfast, very helpfull. Yea i am pretty sure that was the cause to begin with but went through the process of replacing all the expencive parts first :( I will replace that gasket aswell......Got a quote yesterday. The cheapest i got was $400 for belt only and have a quick gander at the diz. I think it might be worth it. After all it is my old ladies car so she needs it back on the road pretty quickly without any probs.
Cheers

damianison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I have just done my timing belt, and replaced the tensioner at the same time, which does not come witht the spring- this was incorrectly assembled, and I have put it where I think it goes, but Im afraid I have it wrong and the belt is now too tight- which can stuff your big end.
Can anyone tell me where the tab off the tensionr spring rests againts on the block?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have no idea. I got my mechanic to do it for me. Got it back monday. Hows that my old ladies stock vlc pulled 101.2 rwkw. :) Just needs a turbo lol

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
damianison

Gee, if I could only remember:(

I found that to be a bit of a problem when I first replaced mine too.

I do remember having hassels just like you are expereiencing, sorry but I can't give an accurate description but one things for sure if you spend a good half hour or so working out how the spring works and what's its supose to do it should work out for you.

Don't force anything and just take it easy and you'll get there.:thumbsup:
I'll sleep on it and it might come back to me. Be back soon:)