Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to 5.7 L I want a min 260kw but would like 300kw ?

Detroit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon 5.7
Hi all, I'm old school V8 talking 253/308/307/327/350/302/351 carby jobs. I'm looking at buying a wagon with a gen3 5.7 engine, can I get 300kw at the engine with simple mods like exhaust/air intake/chip/tune?

Thanks in advance

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I would say no with just simple mods like that.....you would be struggling to get 260RWKW with those mods. (I would estimate around 240 at the wheels depending on the exhaust)

Exhaust, Cam & Tune is the best for easy power with the LS1's

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
Hi all, I'm old school V8 talking 253/308/307/327/350/302/351 carby jobs. I'm looking at buying a wagon with a gen3 5.7 engine, can I get 300kw at the engine with simple mods like exhaust/air intake/chip/tune?

Thanks in advance
Firstly do not bother with any "chips". Custom dyno tune is what you want. You can get MAF (mass air flow sensor) or MAFless (almost always better power/torque) tunes done from all the big workshops. At least 1.75" primary headers, hi flow cats and a twin 2.5" or 3" exhaust combined with an OTR (over the radiator) cold air intake will open it right up. My manual VXII R8 Clubsport made 337rwhp (252rwkw) with MAFless, OTR, Pacemaker 1.75" 4-1 headers and full Manta 2.5" exhaust so add 20% for drivetrain losses and there's 300kw at the engine. Cost all up under $4000.

I would say no with just simple mods like that.....you would be struggling to get 260RWKW with those mods. (I would estimate around 240 at the wheels depending on the exhaust)

Exhaust, Cam & Tune is the best for easy power with the LS1's
Add a cam to the above combo and anywherw from 280rwkw is achievable. Add another $3000 plus a clutch upgrade if manual.

_senator_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv Vy senator s2 & Vt s2 5.7 calais

Thanks in advance

you will easy get 300kw at engine with those mods

Detroit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon 5.7
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, can any of you recommend a good shop in Brisbane, to do the exhaust and tune., I'm pretty handy I've rebuilt engines and done clutches, wheel bearings, bla bla but I'm to old and lazy to build my own exhaust these days. Or am I wise ??? Lol Nup just lazy. Oh also what year model with a 5.7 litre would you guys suggest. Under $15K

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I have had my car tuned at Powertorque (at brendale/Ormeau) and highly rate them. Also Western Mechanical are good - Although having your exhaust put on at one of these shops would blow out the final price so I would suggest do it first at a Exhaust shop in your area.

As senator said 300+ KW at the engine will be easily achievable with a tune, dual exhaust system minimum of 2.5in (Manta, Difilippo, Hurricane), Hi flow cat convertors, and extractors whether Tri-Y's or 4-1 style (Pacemaker, Difilippo, Hurricane)

Also an Over the radiator Cold Air Induction (OTR CAI) Duspeed OTR is fibreglass and VCM OTR is alloy

I would suggest the later VY-VZ style commodore, you may also find a 05/06 6 Litre engine for that price

Detroit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon 5.7
I have had my car tuned at Powertorque (at brendale/Ormeau) and highly rate them. Also Western Mechanical are good - Although having your exhaust put on at one of these shops would blow out the final price so I would suggest do it first at a Exhaust shop in your area.

As senator said 300+ KW at the engine will be easily achievable with a tune, dual exhaust system minimum of 2.5in (Manta, Difilippo, Hurricane), Hi flow cat convertors, and extractors whether Tri-Y's or 4-1 style (Pacemaker, Difilippo, Hurricane)

Also an Over the radiator Cold Air Induction (OTR CAI) Duspeed OTR is fibreglass and VCM OTR is alloy

I would suggest the later VY-VZ style commodore, you may also find a 05/06 6 Litre engine for that price

Thanks Munz, I would actually like to find something for under $10K and then spend around 5K on engine performance/mags/lowering suspension. So I gotta get prices & if I have to fabricate the exhaust and lower suspension myself to stay within budget then I will do that.

Can anyone suggest costs for full exhaust including headers, cats, mufflers and install?
And lower springs & shocks?
And OTR CAI ?
And tune at power torque ?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
5k won't get you the mods you want.

Detroit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore wagon 5.7
I found a VX for 5k with a 5.7 in it, might check it out for potential project car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Since you are handy with spanners, fit the exhaust yourself. I can do 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primary 4-1 Hurricane extractors, 200 cell high flow metallic cats and a twin 2 1/2" Manta cat back all for $2150 shipped. All gaskets, clamps and nuts and bolts supplied.