Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to modifications, any advice?

Phil25

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII Holden Commodore SSV Redline
Hi there, as the title suggests I am new to adding modifications to our beloved holdens. I've been spending alot of time recently looking at exhaust upgrades for my 2016 Holden Commodore SSV Redline (AUTO) but i'm at a loss for some things without the proper understanding and I was hoping I could lean on you guys for some advice :)

1. In my research people have removed the Mechanical Sound Enhancer (MSE) or never really wanted it in the first place. I can't seem to find any decent information on what the MSE is/does and I was hoping someone could explain the pros/cons of MSE.

2. I don't care so much for power gain but I'd love to get an upgrade to the sound my V8 makes so I was wondering what a good exhaust option would be? I've looked at Walkinshaw and i LOVE the sound of the W407 but have no desire to spend 10K+ to achieve it. If I simply want a deep rumbling V8 (that isn't going to get me in trouble with the police), what would you guys recommend I look for to achieve this? Would a Catback suffice or would I need to go for a full exhaust upgrade including headers?

3. Any good dealers here in Sydney that you guys know or have dealt with in the pursuit of upgrading your cars? Open to suggestions especially if it means I can talk to them face to face to understand the finer details more and get what I want out of this upgrade.

4. I don't care about power gain, I just want a deeper V8 for my car. Is it worth doing the upgrade even if my car is just an Auto? Is there any hidden consideration I should be aware of (for example: W375 removes bimodal exhaust option - is this a good/bad thing?)

I have ALOT to learn when it comes to Commodores and I appreciate the time you have taken to read this post and make any suggestions. I am new to this and really want to learn more about my car so I apologise if i've said/asked anything that would seem idiotic to the veterans here but I have a basic understanding from my research but a desire to learn so go easy on me :p

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

p.s My budget would be around 2-3k but could be stretched to 4k if necessary in order to achieve a full exhaust kit over a catback.

-Phil25

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
J pipes for quick v8 sound, some people like some dont
hurricane or manta exhaust
if bi-modal, remove fuse stays open all the time
MSE is a pipe from induction side of engine to inside cabin to make it sound more v8-ish, no gain
block it off put on otr, exhaust, tune, done you will be happy,
exhaust $800 approx
otr$500 approx (depends on brand)
tune$750-900 approx
will be a completely different car, more power, sound like an 8 should and use less fuel