Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to photography

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
I bought a Pentax K-30 at Christmas time. No experience with photography at all, but something I have always wanted to learn. Suffered a bit of lens buyers addiction. Along with the DAL18-55mm that is pretty average that came with the lens I have purchased a DA18-135mm WR for bit more versatile reach and weather resistance (to match camera's WR), Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide, DA35mm prime and a Soviet era Helio 44M-6 for $50 from eBay.

Mostly photograph my daughter, landscapes and will get some automotive ones when I get the chance. Trying to expand my artistic side so I am not just taking happy/tourist snaps.

Sorry if too many shots in the one post...

My first ever decent picture I took (obviously took a heap but the best of them)

Cheeky Ella by dcBear78, on Flickr

More of my daughter. Fortunately she is a bit of a poser...

20130116-IMGP0464.jpg by dcBear78, on Flickr

Some of my car

Calais by dcBear78, on Flickr

Calais by dcBear78, on Flickr

Some pics of around my town...

Gladstone Power Station by dcBear78, on Flickr

Gladstone Marina Park by dcBear78, on Flickr

Whatchu looking at? by dcBear78, on Flickr

One of my favourite shots so far. Love the drama in the sky with rain on the horizon and the pastel colours. Got this printed on a 24"x12" canvas print and it looks like a painting.

Canoe Point by dcBear78, on Flickr

Emu Park Beach by dcBear78, on Flickr

Emu Park Beach 2 by dcBear78, on Flickr

Contemplation by dcBear78, on Flickr

Here is that cheap 20yo Soviet lens in action. Has intense depth of field and a famous bokeh. These are bottles my house-mate seems to refuse to through out.

Dave's Collection by dcBear78, on Flickr

Same lens, different subject. Took this one last week. Love this one....

Homework by dcBear78, on Flickr

xVTx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Yea that canoe point one looks awesome! good job mate

BrokWoods

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 Ute
Been a Landscape and car & Truck photographer for years mate !

Good shots ! Love the factory shot !

need any help just shoot a message mate :)

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Looking Fantastic! I'm new myself in the world of photography. Unfortunately for me I went and bought a Sony RX100 thinking at the time its a decent camera compact and would it point me into future photography or be enough.. Sadly I need to go to the next level! Would love to know settings you used if you were in manual control and any post production that was done. Well done with the current shots taken so far!

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
Looking Fantastic! I'm new myself in the world of photography. Unfortunately for me I went and bought a Sony RX100 thinking at the time its a decent camera compact and would it point me into future photography or be enough.. Sadly I need to go to the next level! Would love to know settings you used if you were in manual control and any post production that was done. Well done with the current shots taken so far!

Cheers. But I am very new so can't really provide much technical advice. I tend to shoot in Av mode mostly to control depth of field. But if shooting something like sports I swap to Tv to control shutter speed. A fair bit of trial and error goes into it for me right now until I get more experience. As for post processing I shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom. Each picture is different. The "Canoe Point" one probably has the most done to it. Sharpened, colour corrected, virtual grad filter to the sky and some dodging to the trees on the right to lighten them a bit. Other like the car in front of the building had the shadows lifted a fair bit as the car was in shadow but half the building isn't. And the "Homework" one I actually made the dark bits darker as I thought this made the picture look more interesting.

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
I spent last weekend getting a little crazy with some DJ mates of mine from around the country. We converged for a 4 day weekend at the Gold Coast. Got a bit creative with some pics.

Mixing all the things by dcBear78, on Flickr

The deep house begins by dcBear78, on Flickr

900's, 2000's and mixer by dcBear78, on Flickr

The Kraken by dcBear78, on Flickr

The Vodka by dcBear78, on Flickr

BeatLeSS Ghost by dcBear78, on Flickr

Mitch by dcBear78, on Flickr

Decks n Mixer by dcBear78, on Flickr

Panorama by dcBear78, on Flickr