Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to the VT

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
hmm sounds fair enough! as long as its reliable right!

im never selling my baby.. or future babys hahahahahaha :)

Haha... I never wanted to sell my VY... would have kept it till I died... but had to listen to the wife... That was an awesome VY too.. Phreddy did some awesome work on the lights when he was starting up... gave me the first red interior cluster lights... loved it...

Hopefully I can bring this VT up to something close to my VY... but this VT seems to have a better engine than my VY, so the drive is nicer... :)

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
bugger huh!

hopefully for your sake you can bring it close to your vy :p

Ha!

Yeah, that would be nice... I don't think its in the budget to get it painted black, but its ok, I can live with a blue one too... just as long as the engine is sweet... :)

I would like to make my VT look more like a VX though, from the back anyway with the boot... I do like the VT lights, but will change them to monaro lights in time too..

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
new vx boot.. straight swap from a wreckers

i got standard vx tail lights laying around at home ;) you dont need monaro lights lol jokes

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
new vx boot.. straight swap from a wreckers

i got standard vx tail lights laying around at home ;) you dont need monaro lights lol jokes

Yup, thats the plan, hope I can find a VX boot in the same colour from the wreckers.... don't really want to paint stuff... and if they have a rear bumper of the same colour too, sweet, since the paint on mine is cracking badly... Lol!

Hmmm... VX tail lights are pretty sweet too... I would mind them... but how much and are you in Sydney? If not, Monaro ones might be my next best option... :)

So looking forward to playing with my Commodore again... :)

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
yeah western sydney.. umm $100 for the pair.. all globes work and they dont seem to have any scratches at all.

so just let me know what you wanna do man, even if its months down the track i will more then likely still have them... there just sitting in my wardrobe gathering dust hahaha.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
yeah western sydney.. umm $100 for the pair.. all globes work and they dont seem to have any scratches at all.

so just let me know what you wanna do man, even if its months down the track i will more then likely still have them... there just sitting in my wardrobe gathering dust hahaha.

Groovy.. Thanks mate...

It will probably be a few months down the track... got a few other things to look into before I try making it look beautiful... lol... but thanks... will keep it in mind and chase u up when I want to get them.. :)

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
1) Is there a way to get the VX boot onto a VT? Looks like a straight swap would work, but what about the lights on the existing VT boot? Where would they go? Thinking I should get Monaro tail lights too, as well as head lights, but just wanted know how how much work was needed to get the VX boot in there, since there is a dent on my VT boot, and the clear is coming off badly.

The boot will go straight on but you will have no reverse lights. Please please please don't put Monaro tail lights on a sedan.. Yuck! A set of VX tail lights and some modified wiring will give you reverse lights back again. However you will also want to rig up the pull tab inside the boot so you can open it manually through the ski hatch. The lock barrel on the boot was deleted in the VX.

2) The bonnet is pretty bent up from a car reversing into it before I bought it... dude did the panel beating himself, but he is no panel beater, so its not very good. Think it might be best to get a new bonnet, wondering if that is a hard job to do myself too.

2 bolts if you keep your existing hinges, 4 bolts if you change the hinges too.

4) The rear passenger side electric window does not work, don't know why yet, but would it be alot of work/ money to fix?

In order of likeliness it could be door switch, main switch, regulator or wiring.

Swap the door switches between the rear doors. Does your fault move? If yes, replace the faulty door switch. If no, remove the regulator and plug it into the plug on the other side. Try to operate the other window. Does the regulator move up and down? If yes, replace the main window switch. If no, replace the regulator. If you replace something and it's STILL not fixed, then you need to look at wiring but that's highly unlikely.

5) The pod filter is just sitting in the engine bay, floating around in there... is there anything I can do about that? Also, it makes a relatively high pitch sucking sound, even when idle. Is that normal?

Is the air temp sensor even connected?? To install a pod filter correctly there should be a mounting bracket with a hole cut out for the air temp sensor. Without that sensor your car won't run right and without a mounting bracket it most likely isn't installed.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
The boot will go straight on but you will have no reverse lights. Please please please don't put Monaro tail lights on a sedan.. Yuck! A set of VX tail lights and some modified wiring will give you reverse lights back again. However you will also want to rig up the pull tab inside the boot so you can open it manually through the ski hatch. The lock barrel on the boot was deleted in the VX.

2 bolts if you keep your existing hinges, 4 bolts if you change the hinges too.

In order of likeliness it could be door switch, main switch, regulator or wiring.

Swap the door switches between the rear doors. Does your fault move? If yes, replace the faulty door switch. If no, remove the regulator and plug it into the plug on the other side. Try to operate the other window. Does the regulator move up and down? If yes, replace the main window switch. If no, replace the regulator. If you replace something and it's STILL not fixed, then you need to look at wiring but that's highly unlikely.

Is the air temp sensor even connected?? To install a pod filter correctly there should be a mounting bracket with a hole cut out for the air temp sensor. Without that sensor your car won't run right and without a mounting bracket it most likely isn't installed.

Thanks for all that info mate... so no monaro lights on the VT... ok.. lol... will have to look into the reverse lights thing, I think thats quite important... or else, I'd just get another VT boot from the wreckers.. not too much of an electrical whiz so we shall see... :)

I think I might have to change the hinges too, since the bonnet doesnt seem totally aligned now.... but that could be the rest of the car too if it was in an accident that the dude didn't tell me about... will check that out too...

Not too fussed about the electric window, but it will be something to look into in the future...

Will check out the sensor on the pod, but will probably change that back to the stock air box soon just coz I have it there and I don't need to make any thing like enclosures and stuff... :)

Right now I'm looking into doing the door handles and locks for the back doors, then the sun visor clips are broken, but that should be easy from the wreckers, then I want to get the bonnet and boot changed... then I can relax for a while, enjoy the stock-ness of the car for a bit, maybe a month before I get into doing some mods... :)

But thanks for all the info... if anyone knows any good (hopefully cheap) panel beaters in western sydney, or any wreckers with good VT stock, please let me know... if I can change parts without painting them, that's be great! :)

Thanks guys... looking forward to enjoying this VT for a long time.. :)