Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New to the VT

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi guys,

I've been on here for a while before... when I had a VY Commodore...

Well I got married, had to sell that, but I couldn't stay away from the growl... so just got an old VT Series 1 last week.

Got a few questions about it...

Firstly, since it was cheap, the body is not in the best condition. The engine is sweet and has had work done to it, even a pod filter (Lol!), but the body... ouch...

The interior isn't too great as well, basically missing rear door locks and handles, but that shouldn't be too hard to sort out, right?

My questions are,

1) Is there a way to get the VX boot onto a VT? Looks like a straight swap would work, but what about the lights on the existing VT boot? Where would they go? Thinking I should get Monaro tail lights too, as well as head lights, but just wanted know how how much work was needed to get the VX boot in there, since there is a dent on my VT boot, and the clear is coming off badly.

2) The bonnet is pretty bent up from a car reversing into it before I bought it... dude did the panel beating himself, but he is no panel beater, so its not very good. Think it might be best to get a new bonnet, wondering if that is a hard job to do myself too.

3) Clear coat is peeling off on the roof too, so wondering if someone in Sydney knew how much it would cost to just clear coat the roof?

4) The rear passenger side electric window does not work, don't know why yet, but would it be alot of work/ money to fix?

5) The pod filter is just sitting in the engine bay, floating around in there... is there anything I can do about that? Also, it makes a relatively high pitch sucking sound, even when idle. Is that normal?

This was a relatively cheap car, but I liked it since it was cheap and had a very nice engine... so just needs some work done to the outside and inside and just some care... looking for a front a rear bar too, since mine are in pretty bad condition, but will check out wreckers, they might have it in the same colour too, which is blue, pretty stock

Thanks guys... I'm in Kingswood, NSW, near Penrith and if I can help anyone out, or if anyone can help me out, just PM. Feels good to be in a Commodore again... :)

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
hey m8, have a look at my VT pics and that will give u some ideas as to most of ya questions..as i have afew VX things on my VT and a enclosed pod : )

1.the VX and VT are pretty similar so shouldnt be to hard to swap over the boot and wiring...
2.if its that bad can either get a panel beater to fix it properly or have a sus at the difference between that and the price of a new one painted??
3. cant help im in canberra sorry
4.Vt's parts are pretty common and a wrecker might have a replacement part for cheap but before hand maybe take it to an auto-electrician to cancel out the wiring side?
5. definately get ya pod enclosed at it sucks up to much heat from the engine bay and yes the suction is normal lol

also keep an eye on the for sale thread as u might be able to get some stuff of lads on here aswell or ebay!!

EDIT: O and welcome to the awesome world of the VT!!

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Looks good mate... really good...

Mine is a blue one, I'm thinking its stock blue, but since the bonnet is being evil, I can't check out the colour code for it. Oh well.

Was looking at yours, and thats pretty much what I want to do with mine. Change the head and tail lights, VX boot, so I lose the garnish and get a better front bar maybe.

Very interested in that enclosure, coz don't want it sucking in the hot air, so need to look into that. Did you make it yourself?

Yeah will check out the wreckers and see what I can find. Should be good...

I have always been a Holden man... had a VN, then a VS, then a VY, now the VT... :)

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Here are some pics of the car at the moment...

20110221072146.jpg

Here is the front dent, kind of panel beaten...
20110221072157.jpg

Roof clear peeling
20110221072220.jpg

Clear peeling on boot, and dent
20110221072118.jpg

What do ya'll think?

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi, this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know the colour code for my car in the pictures above? I can't really open the bonnet easily, so I can't check what it is, so does anyone know what the colour code would be just from looking at the pictures?

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
LOL how much was this???

im never getting married now lol

Haha... well I bought a house which was close to the station, so I wouldn't have to drive, and the wife wanted a little car, so I got her a Mirage, and not needed 2 cars, she said the VY had to go... and it was a beauty...

I got this in a very weird way...

For a while, I defected over to the Nissan camp... got myself a Nissan 300zx, which was nice and cheap... had a bit of fun with it for a while, but then the engine over heated and blew, so I had to sell it off as a project car.

A dude who is a drift fanatic wanted to swap this VT commodore for my blown 300zx and since I missed my Commodore, and we needed a family car, the wife let me get this VT

Basically, I gave the dude my blown 300zx and gave him $500 cash, and I got myself a VT with a relatively worked engine, a box of spares and the car registered till Oct 2011... :)

I think its a pretty good deal, because the engine is as soon as silk and goes hard when it has to, its just the interior and exterior that needs a little work... :)

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
The paint I cant tell you but any panel shop would know, if you don't want to go that far someone here will know the name of the colour. With that you can just google the pain code.

Wont be too hard to bring it up to good nick.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
hmm sounds fair enough! as long as its reliable right!

im never selling my baby.. or future babys hahahahahaha :)

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
The paint I cant tell you but any panel shop would know, if you don't want to go that far someone here will know the name of the colour. With that you can just google the pain code.

Wont be too hard to bring it up to good nick.

Thanks mate,

I'm not too fussed about the exterior at the moment.. but eventually, I'd like to make it look nice... so maybe get a few new bumpers and panels from the wreckers, or just paint the existing stuff... :)