Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New toy. VU ss VZ front conversion project.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Oops, we should have mentioned the looms were different. I've done it twice and both times I've bought new looms for ~$40 new old stock. looks good though. You definitely need new tyre as well. They are obviouslu the VE sized tyres (245/45/18), so you'll find the speedo is out and (At least when I had those tyre on my VU) the fronts will scrub on the inside. The size you want is 235/40/18. You can run 245/40/18 on the rear if you want the width.

R

Risky

I bought my tail lights from Holden & they were cheap & came with the wiring & bulbs. Mind you the back now matches the front on the ute. Keep your wing mirrors as they look pretty cool. Just upgrade the SS badges.

The fuel tank holds 68 litres for both V6 & V8. It looks small from when you open the access hatch at the back.

I'm really liking those rims.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I had the same fuel issue with my VX Berlina.
Would always say heaps of km left, then drop dramatically. Although I have still managed to drive 20km with it on 0km, And with less throttle it starts to go up slightly.
Kinda scary as hell when you in the country and 30kms away from anything.

But I don't have to worry about that anymore. Petrol is the backup.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Bit of an update, decided to pull the tailgate off this arvo and start working on it. Everytime i look
at the back of the car i see the shitty paint and dents and it annoys me. As you can see in the next
couple of pics she's a bit rough. Looks like someone might have had a go at painting it before. I'd
say it's had a corner prang as the drivers side bumperette has **** paint and that side taillight i pulled
out yesterday was aftermarket. Anyway heres the tailgate -

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Anyway,after a wash and a prepsol wipe it was sanded roughly and had a thin coat of primer, then some filler.
pretty much skimmed the whole part with all the dents and blocked it back. Still have a lot of work to do on it
but the shapes is coming back.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

If i could have gotten to the inside of the panel i would have tried to dolly out the dents but couldnt.

Husky, i definatly need new rubber,hopefully it can hold of until i can afford descent tires. The speedo is
out a little bit, I've noticed with these wheels the car feels more stable. Either that or i'm losing the plot.

Risky, Not sure about the badges yet might leave them off. dunno.

I'm thinking about when i pull the bumperette of the drivers side to fix it, i'll customise it the same as the
left and get a twin exhaust made. Would really tie off the back nicely i reckon.

Thanks for looking.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
It got a few coats of primer in a rush and a quick sand back with the d/a,then chucked back on the ute
for work tomorrow. Not perefect yet, but less bumpy.
IMG_1914.jpg

And after this pic i noticed my little helper left a grubby hand print on the tailgate.
Wiped that off with prepsol straight after.
cheers.

Last edited:
R

Risky

Rear tailgates on utes suffer so much so it's pretty common to have dings & scratches on them. I remember there was a facebook page on them lol. Mine had minor ones but it was all re-done. The passenger side rear bumper clear coat was coming off when I bought mine but over time until I got it all re-painted it was coming off quite badly.

Even without the badges it looks great. The guy who painted my ute has a 2014 SS ute coming into his shop on Tuesday. It's a Walkinshaw enhanced one so we're all looking to see it.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Washed the ute and took some pics today. It's the same spot as the photos a few pages
back. I'll put them up in a before/after type setup.

Before-
IMG_1833.jpg

After-
IMG_1949.jpg

Before-
IMG_1835.jpg

After-
IMG_1951.jpg

I think it looked good with both front ends and wheel combos but anyway...

The tailgate and bonnet are due for a sanding and a flow coat but havent got around to it yet.

Cheers.

R

Risky

Looks absolutely fresh there mate apart from the tape next to the passenger window. You're right about the both front ends but I'm swaying to that Calais end.

You've done an excellent job putting this all together. I'd keep the original wing mirrors as it looks more Monaro-ish (remembering that the HQ-HX had 4dr Monaros).

The only thing missing is your missus in the passenger seat. Mind you, I bet she'd want to be in the driver seat.