Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New toy. VU ss VZ front conversion project.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Cheers. No more updates other than the ignition stuffing up. The barrel and key where knackered
and it was stuck in lock for ages,eventually got it into acc. and after a whole lot of rooting around
eventually got it all out fixed and back together working.

Took the barrel to holden with the key and asked what to do. They wanted 80bucks for the barrel
and 140bucks to key the barrel to the key. They wanted the key for a few hours too.

Ended up going to a locksmith around the corner, got a new barrel and a new blank cut (old one was worn)
for about 150. Took 20mins.

No pics to post,the job was frustrating enough. Certainly dont want to be doing that again in any hurry.
One of them jobs where you could really lose your temper. Sat there jiggling the key for about
2hrs until it clicked forward into accessory. Then about a minute later i was fiddling and the key
went back into lock. Took about another hour to get it to turn again. Love love love it....

I'm actually very lucky i got it back to accessory or the barrel wouldnt have come out at all and i would have
been in some deep barney rubble.

R

Risky

Our cars are getting old mate. The keys & barrel weren't Holden's strong point. If there was better system out there, I'd use it.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Havent really done much to the old ute as ive been doing other projects but the
state of the bonnet wqas appalling and a bit embarassing. The orange
peel was giving me the shits so i blocked it back and buffed it.

Used 1500 wet and dry,a bit of foam and the juice cutting compunt. Could have
got a better finish if i'd spent more time but its ok.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Cheers.

R

Risky

I'm always amazed at your work & detail into it mate. You ute looks fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute
Just read through your thread from start to finish. Amazing job mate. Super impressed.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Thanks guys.

Up close she doesnt look quite as good as the pics but still looks ok.
When i was cutting it back some **** got into the block and i didnt notice.
Ended up with zig zag marks through the paint.

After washing it yesterday i noticed that there's actually quite a lot of scratches all
over the ute. maybe one day i'll respray it.

Been tossing up doing a marble effect on the hard cover but not sure. Phantom
black and some toyota white ive got lying around.

The interior might be getting some custom paint too. Since ive found out
how to do the candy marble/bowling ball effect, the facia and some other bits and pieces
might get the treatment. I have thought about doing the hardcover in this.

Here's a pic in case some of you havent seen it in the other thread.

IMG_2159.jpg

Thinking of having this for the plastic inside the cab and maybe the hardcover. Seems a bit
much for the outside though and i kind of like it plain. The candy alone isnt cheap
and takes a lot of coats for the effect i like to it would make it one damn expensive
hardcover.lol

Cheers.

R

Risky

Maybe do a test colour for the hardlid like a the marble effect but with a purple pearl type if you know what I mean. The way it would look is up close you can see the work but as you go further back be like a pearlescent thing.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Thanks mate.

The ute got some new tires yesterday and the ebay wheel nuts for the ve rims. I'll get some pics
with the new rubber on. p007's i think theyre called. I wanted continentals but the bridgestone guy swore by these
so i'll give them a shot.

Hopefully they do ok on mileage. Over a thousand dollars for rubber. Better not bloody puncture one.

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I thought the ute was pretty much finished but sitting in it today i was looking at the
cracked fascia around the centre console and the part that goes up around the dash.
Went to the wrecker and bought the two bits and i'm going to custom paint them.

Gave them a scrub up and a lick of primer,hopefully tomorrow providing the weathers good
i can start shooting colour.

Cheers.

IMG_2296.jpg