Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New trimatic slipping

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Gday all,looking for help and advice.I have a rebuilt v8 trimatic,fully manualised,good for 450hp behind a 355 (dynoed 400hp).haven’t done 50ks in it and seem to be slipping in first and second.I have installed a cooler and have put a little over 9 litres of fluid in.has a deep Aeroflow pan.what I’m asking is can I put more fluid in without damaging it?it shows low on the dip stick when running but 9litres seem a lot of fluid.any help would be much appreciated.Cheers

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Gday all,looking for help and advice.I have a rebuilt v8 trimatic,fully manualised,good for 450hp behind a 355 (dynoed 400hp).haven’t done 50ks in it and seem to be slipping in first and second.I have installed a cooler and have put a little over 9 litres of fluid in.has a deep Aeroflow pan.what I’m asking is can I put more fluid in without damaging it?it shows low on the dip stick when running but 9litres seem a lot of fluid.any help would be much appreciated.Cheers
It’s in a Vk.thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
9 liters is about normal for a complete fill but if you have a deep pan than chances are it will require more. Get the fluid level topped off first and see what it does.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When filling a trans, I have a habit of putting the fluid in, then running it through all the gears once it is warm.....After I have done that, I then re-check the fluid level to make sure it is correct.

Also the trans dipstick...Is it one that came with the deep pan conversion? I would assume having a deeper pan would require another dipstick to come with it, to make sure you have the correct level...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've never understood the need for a different dip stick?

The critical fluid level is relative to the bottom of the transmission casing/fluid pick up, how deep the pan is is really irrelevant.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
^^^ Can say I've never heard of different dipsticks for extended sumps either, would kind of defeat the purpose of having it.
9litres seem a lot of fluid
Part of that 9 litres will go to filling the torque converter as well (in addition to the extended capacity) which typically won't come out of the transmission on a normal oil change. For all intents and purposes, the mark on the dipstick indicates the oil level the same way weather you have a stock sump or a sump that has a capacity of 100 litres, nothing about the dimensions of the trans and where it gets its oil from changes, only the sump. Long story short, if it says it's low, top it up.

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
^^^ Can say I've never heard of different dipsticks for extended sumps either, would kind of defeat the purpose of having it.

Part of that 9 litres will go to filling the torque converter as well (in addition to the extended capacity) which typically won't come out of the transmission on a normal oil change. For all intents and purposes, the mark on the dipstick indicates the oil level the same way weather you have a stock sump or a sump that has a capacity of 100 litres, nothing about the dimensions of the trans and where it gets its oil from changes, only the sump. Long story short, if it says it's low, top it up.
Thanks mate.yes that’s what I was thinking aswell.just a little concerned that 9 litres was a lot.will slowly creep up on it on the dipstick .it’s a lokar dipstick and a prick to read.I spose if it over filled it will just spew out the breather and make a mess.

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
When filling a trans, I have a habit of putting the fluid in, then running it through all the gears once it is warm.....After I have done that, I then re-check the fluid level to make sure it is correct.

Also the trans dipstick...Is it one that came with the deep pan conversion? I would assume having a deeper pan would require another dipstick to come with it, to make sure you have the correct level...
No,it’s just a lokar aftermarket one and is a prick to read.I been checking it hot and running after running through the gears

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
9 liters is about normal for a complete fill but if you have a deep pan than chances are it will require more. Get the fluid level topped off first and see what it does.
Yeah pan is 3.25 inches deep so nearly double stock pan depth

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Don't know if this is any help but the traumastics in V8 had a vacuum line to somewhere at the top of the box ( too long ago to remember)
and if it blocked/was not connected the box played up.