Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New trimatic slipping

LXXXVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk
Don't know if this is any help but the traumastics in V8 had a vacuum line to somewhere at the top of the box ( too long ago to remember)
and if it blocked/was not connected the box played up.
Yeah right.the information that I got was that the vacuum wasn’t needed on a full manualised tri?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The cooler and lines will also use up anywhere from a couple hundred ml to half a litre(ish) depending on how big the cooler is.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
The cooler and lines will also use up anywhere from a couple hundred ml to half a litre(ish) depending on how big the cooler is.
Exactly. Deep pan + cooler and lines = more fluid needed

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I have to ask if you use a deep pan how is the fluid pick up point extended if the standard filter is used whats the advantage of the extra fluid the deep pan holds, I only ask as I thought my mates f*cked one up a while a go but it was Friday afternoon Im only a blow in freeloading their beer so I shut up and stopped asking questions .

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
More fluid means more time before it overheats.

In some cars that have very shallow fluid pans fluid surge can uncover the pickup. I believe this was a problem later model Commodore Auto transmissions.

Ideally you want a deep pan with an extended filter.

Deep pans are a bit of a tradeoff especially if you have a lowered car where clearance can become an issue.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
how is the fluid pick up point extended if the standard filter is used
Ideally you use a filter that has a longer neck that places the filter to the bottom of the pan like immortality said, otherwise the pickup point just remains the same. The other thing about trans filters is that they usually sit directly on (or quite close to which at least keeps them captive) the pan, so keeping them in place or stopping them falling off if you use a standard filter with an extended pan may be an issue.

While it's really not ideal, having an extended filter isn't 100% necessary and you can probably get away with using the regular one on most transmissions, at least for regular driving or towing or something (although it's still probably not a good idea) - you might do this if there's no deep pan factory option (so no OEM style deep filter) or aftermarket extended filters just aren't commonly available because you're using an uncommon trans or made your own extended pan e.g. uncommon height or strange shape to swap the trans into something else. In this case you'd try to get/make a baffled pan that would also have some raised sections to support the filter that don't interfere with fluid intake.

The other big advantage which I'd do it for just on this alone is that most extended pans come with a drain plug.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Drain plugs, ohh god yes. That's another one of those WTF moments where manufacturers save a few bucks but make life for difficult for any one who services vehicles.

Reactions: Lex

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
BM30280.jpg

This b&m deep pan kit has the filter extension. It also has a drain plug and a 1/8" npt port to add a temp gauge. It says no changes to the standard dipstick is required and adds an extra 2.8L of fluid.

Last edited: