Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Tyres on SV6

adrenalin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
I've clocked up replacement tyre mileage and am looking into new tyres for my SV6. I want something that:
1. Wears well (about 40000ks of highway driving)
2. Handles well, at least as well as the stock Bridgestones on there now
3. Not too fussed about noise, but less road noise is more stereo noise :yeah:
4. Not too fussed on price, though $500 a tyre is out of the question :yeah:

Then there's an alternative - sell teh rims I have on there with 10% tyres, buy a set of new 18" rims from Tempe Tyres (but not a ghastly chrome set :bang:) for the cost of a new set of tyres. Granted, I'm going to get rubbish tyres on them for the money and it may affect the speedo/wheel alignment (the last non-stock rims I had on the VX could not be aligned at all!).

Thoughts anyone? I've had Yokohamas on the VX (15") and was happy with them. I'm happy to stick with Bridgestone (S03 or G3 maybe), but keen to try other brands (Michelin, Continental, perhaps Toyo). I have an unsubstantiated aversion to Goodyear and Dunlop. I've also heard really bad reports about Pirelli P Zeros in 18/19 inch, but really good reports about Yokohama in the same size.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
well long lasting and good grip arnt usually together in a tyre without paying for the big names, which if your car is a race car is worth everycent.

on my sv6 i upgrade to 19's, so naturally my vote is to get new wheels.

but just in my expereince out of the tyre ive had one my sv6 and lancer

nankang=best bang for your buck, but overall pretty crap
falken= very good, half decent price
bridgestone= very very good, but expensive
wanli=cheap and sort of ok
gt radial= rubbish in wet, came on car so no idea of price

but ive never really had any of the big brand tyres

hope that helps

oh and i always here people going on how good toyo are

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Mine is up to 37,700km and my RE030's still have about 10,000kms left in them.

I've been looking around a bit for new tyres. Will get the Potenza G3's for sure.

I can't see the point in spending $30k on a car then putting shitty $160 tyres on it...Nexus/Wanli's.... Same as people who go out an buy huge 19" or 20" rims and then put the cheapest possible tyre on.

I'm a firm believer in replacing factory tyres with factory tyres.

I keep hearing the Dunlop SP3000's like on the BA/BF XR's are a great tyre, seen them for $212 in WA of recent. Also Michellin PP2 Preceders are suppose to be an awesome tyre.

Tom/WA

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
If you're after performance tyres, consider the following in 235/45R17:

Dunlop SP Sport MAXX
Goodyear Eagle F1
Goodyear Revspec RS02
Bridgestone G3
Bridgestone RE050
Bridgestone S03
Yokohama ADVAN Sport V103
Yokohama C.drive

Some tyres like the Yokohamas are now available with higher load ratings, eg 97 vs 94.

adrenalin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
I'm leaning towards Bridgestones at the moment.

What does a higher load rating do for the world? Stiffer sidewalls etc? Does it make for a harder ride? Is it a noticeable difference?

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
G3's are the way to go, a very nice tyre.
higher load rating means the tyre can support heavier cars but no it doesn't really make any difference in the quailty of yor ride with a higher rating.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Replacing mine with Potenzas again when these ones run low (19000km on the clock in 19 months) they have a nice look on my rims and they have worn and handle well.

adrenalin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
I've been and priced a few models.

Dunlop SP3000A (as sold on *cough* XRs) are about $200 each fitted. G3s are cheapest Bridgestones @ just under $300 each fitted. Replacement Potenza RE030s are $315 each fitted, S03s slightly more than that and RE050s a huge $385 each. I know I said price wasn't a big concern, but are replacement Potenzas really $400+ better than a set of Dunlops?

New question: has anyone fitted Dunlop SP3000A or Sport MAXX to their 17" Commo and what do you make of them?

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
sp3000a's are a good value tyre providing good grip and mileage but they can be a bit noisy

steen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
All the tyres I listed above are better than the stock RE040 & cover the midband of pricing. The RE040 is now superceded & available for OEM only. The Dunlop SP3000A is a value proposition & is not on par with the RE040. The G3 is one of the best deals & can be had for ~$275. I'm also partial to the MAXX & F1.

Tyres with higher load rating are not a huge benefit (except for structural/side wall strength) in 235/45R17 size. However, in the case of 18"+ tyre fitments they allow a very low profile tyre to be legally fitted to a vehicle with high tyre load rating. Previously this was only possible with a higher profile tyre.