Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new tyres

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
If you find a good local shop you can get good new performance tyres for about $80 each [fitted]. Then it's fairly cheap for an alignment anyways.

Heading into winter if your driving in wet conditions look at tyres made for the european market, they're softer rubber than most wheels in Australia and better for wet [more grip and control], however will wear out quicker especially in the dry.

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
For 15" I would go Good Year's new tyre called Duraplus, Hazza-vn if you read the email on them they get 100,000kms on taxis

Yeah but there not as cheap yet, there still a lil pricey he was saying around $500 to spend, Might be able to pick em up at an ok price but would be more likely to get one of the others at that price,

Some people are saying RE92s there a really basic tyre technoligy is old they have been around for like 14 or so years and nothings really changed with them

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
these are all really good suggestions guy thanks for the help, something i was thinking about earlier, im a P plater, and being in victoria i cant have any performance mods, i supose tyres can be performance mods, anyone know exactly what the rule is there?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
you won't get pinged for having good tyres. additionally, i tried to find some rules but couldn't locate anything. p plater restrictions are here
so it looks only engine performance modifications are banned. that means you can actually lower your car? add wheels? i was under the impression that you couldn't touch anything...

i had some tyres fitted, cheapest you can buy (diamondbacks from kmart). they look good, are really grippy (5ltr can't break traction in a straight line) in the dry, not so much in the wet though. oh yeah soft too, will probably only last a year :p

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
so it looks only engine performance modifications are banned. that means you can actually lower your car? add wheels? i was under the impression that you couldn't touch anything...
as far as i know you can do anything excluding performance mods (rims lowering etc) without getting in trouble, or at least thats NSW....

i had some tyres fitted, cheapest you can buy (diamondbacks from kmart). they look good, are really grippy (5ltr can't break traction in a straight line) in the dry, not so much in the wet though. oh yeah soft too, will probably only last a year :p

Im running diamondbacks on my 18's, the only issue i have is tyre noise, when i put the stocks back on (with bridgestones fitted) the noise is completely gone, but 4 FREE 18' tyres when i bought the rims i wont argue with, and you're dead right, stick to the road like glue.

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
Yeap i had them on my car in 18s too :p stamped at a Triangle but there the same tyre different name, like commodore and lexcen

VP stock

Live fast die young
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
I have a set of 15 inch brand new vn ss rims on them u can have for 400 i juss need them gone

tread is 100 percent !

IN SA

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
If you're only after 15" tyres (205/65R15) you should be able to get a good set of quality tyres for no more than $110 each fitted and balanced. My previous car had 15" and bought a set of Kumho KH15 for $95 each fitted and balanced. They were fantastic. Super quiet. Stuck like glue in the wet. I only had them on the car for 3 months before I sold it so I don't know how long lasting they were.

I had Kumho KU19 on my current car (17'') Again they were dead quiet, high silica compound and grippy in the wet but they didn't last long (stupid commodore IRS :bang:)

Generally a soft compound will be quiet and grip better but won't last as long. Hard compund will last longer but not as grippy and have more road noise.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
bah road noise ill just turn the music up :D found another LUV so tyres are on hold for now