Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new tyres

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
hey guys i need some new tyres on the commodore, looking for some advice on what to buy as far as quality/brand and all that im just running 15" steel rims, im looking to spend about $500 fitted and alignment

cheers
michael

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
Hey Michael, I work for Beaurepaires, well kinda I'm leaving but anyways.

I can suggest the Goodyear Assurance very good long lasting Silica tyre, Very quite, long lasting if you keep them going healthy by regular alignment and pressure checks. There about $120 $130 i think

Next suggestion, Dunlop SP300E Silica tyre, suppost to be on par with the Goodyear but we don't seem to think there quite as good. I no its a completely different car, but they come factory on camrys, and They fetch 65,000km+ when looked after, my grandparents had them on there Vr statesman they loved em i have them sitting in the shed cause my parents brought there car and put 17"s on it, They are normally around the $120 mark,

Cheaper again Id say a Dunlop, Monza 200 There a good tyre there not silica but they seem to be a very good lasting Tyre nice and quite as well.

If you keep the wheel alignment up to date every 10,000km unless you hit a pot hole pretty hard or a gutter, it should be all good, Keep your pressures at between 34/36psi depends on if your worried about a lil bit bumpyer ride, wouldn't make much differents, but the higher the pressure the less resistance and effort involved to move the Tyre around which means better fuel economy, better lasting Tyre keeping them rotated and balanced every 5,000km is a must.

But yeah other than that you should be sweet, When you go in there haggle with them say you got the cash right now you want all 4 do the alignment for free, if they wont say half price and they got a deal.

The thing is a wheel alignment doesn't cost them anything to do cause its only time involved so if they don't charge for one it doesn't really stuff them up other than average for the month, but that's there problem not yours, Just go in there asking for two sizes one for a lil car and one for your commodore so they think your going to come back with the lil car as well :p

Well goodluck let us know what you end up getting :)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I run Falken FK 452's 235/45 R17, so not in your size bracket. they are about $215 a corner, and I really do recommend them. Excellent hi performance tyre, great in the wet, there a silica compound so they dont black mark or smoke up though.

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
silica compound is better cos apparently less rolling resistance

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Go see Tomo at Sale tyre service (Opposite codrington st near Sion), hes an excellent mechanic and is pretty good on prices.

I got a good set of Michellins (suppose to be better then the equivelent Dunlops) for $145 each, which included balancing and new valves and fitting.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
The Dunlop Sp300 aint too bad, u use em on the front of mine, there softish tyre, camber jst eats em away on the back so i use good ol Bridgestone RE92's nice n hard slippery as **** but they last.

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
Mines had Pirelli P7 put on, since I was trading up from no name retreads, big difference. The thing used to understeer every roundabout.

What are the P7 like compared to those listed above?

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
whats silica compound? and why do i want tyres with it?

Silica is better technology within a tyre, you bounce a rubber ball on the ground and it will bounce away you bounce a silica rubber ball and it will bounce bugger all, hug the road really well better for fuel economy Tyre life and comfort when driving

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
For 15" I would go Good Year's new tyre called Duraplus, Hazza-vn if you read the email on them they get 100,000kms on taxis