Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Tyres

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
another good tyre is the maxxis MA Z1 it won Best braking in wet and dry and best overall budget performence tyre in the wheels 08 tyre round up. beat the stock bridgestone re050a in braking beat everything actually.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
another good tyre is the maxxis MA Z1 it won Best braking in wet and dry and best overall budget performence tyre in the wheels 08 tyre round up. beat the stock bridgestone re050a in braking beat everything actually.

Agreed. I had a set on the VY SS and found them better than the Potenzas. A tad noisy though...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I bet they dont either, I did hear somewhere that Holden have changed to Michelin now rather than the Bridgestones.
I have had a bit of a look at some Yokahama Advan's as well but they are pretty expensive as well.

Brigestone have sent people home (Adelaide factory) cos they have a huge stocks of tyres.

Looks like China toy tyres for all soon:p - when Bridgies go bust

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Brigestone have sent people home (Adelaide factory) cos they have a huge stocks of tyres.

Looks like China toy tyres for all soon:p - when Bridgies go bust

yep its been very quiet there for the last few months as my old work was next door, it will be shut soon the way the economy is going

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
all the reviews i've read on the net on the kumho ku31's rate them better in the wet then dry?

did you have the ku31 or older ku19?

Apologies, I didn't realise there were so many different "Kumho Ecsta's".

The tread on mine looked like these:
Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

Whereas the 31's you're talking about look like this?
Kumho Tire USA, Inc.

We seem to be talking about different tyres, so I take it all back! :)

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
no worries mate.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Hi, I do high kms each year and have tried a few different V rated tyres in the last few years.

My current ride (VE Calais with 20x10 Rears and 20x8.5 fronts) has Nexen tyres (came on the wheels when purchased). They seem fine.

Today I went for a wheel balance and alignment etc and had a good chat with e few guys that work there.

Their advice was that of the cheaper tyres:
- Nexen is good (cheaper with slight road noise - I agree with this)
- Falken is probably the best of the low to mid price range (I had Falkens on a previous Commodore and liked them). I inquired for you about the price of Falkens for my 20x8.5 fronts. Quote was just under $300 each fitted and balanced.

Also, I put Maxxis ZA 1 on my last car after I read about them in a tyre comparison in a magazine a couple of years ago. They had great handling and breaking but were VERY VERY noisy. I would not recommend them for this reason. Wear rate was good though. Much better than my previous Potenzas on that car.

MickVE

Red... It goes faster!
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 MY10 SS
Thanks for the replies guys.
I just have the stock rims on so 245/45 R18.

I heard about these Maxxis ZA1's from someone else and didnt really trust them as I had never heard of the brand. Like Calais57 I do a lot of KM's so a noise tyre would drive me mental.

Has anyone bothered with something like a Pirelli P-Zero?
I got a quote today for Potenza RE050A's at $350 each so thinking I might just replace them with those, i've been pretty happy with them so far.