Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VE SSV Redline Sedan Owner (In a few weeks...)

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
New VE SSV Sedan owner as of today!

Hey Guys,

So last year I made a massive error of judgment and bought a 2010 WRX. After only 4 months in the car I hate it, really should have pondered more on that one. About 2 weeks ago I find out I've got a bit of cash coming my way, so I've been test driving a few cars. I've tested a VE SSV Redline, EVO 10 MR, Golf GTI, Golf R & XR6 turbo. All very different cars I know, but each of them ticked the boxes & interested me for different reasons.

I really was surprised by the build quality of the VW stuff, had anticipated a much higher standard than what is actual reality. The GTI & R were "nice" to drive but by no means were exiting. And by no means do I think they are worth waiting 7-10 months for.

The EVO was pretty much the same story as the WRX I found. A more quality feel than the Subaru inside, but not luxurious by any stretch.

The XR6T, not bad, but not great. SSV interior kills the ford, and looks way better.

The best way I can describe my 1st SSV test drive is the same feeling as getting your Ps and driving for the 1st time by yourself. Just potting around town it didnt feel like I was driving a massive car. I wanted to buy a car I'd be exited to drive every day and I've definitely found that in the SSV. At the end of the day, for the sheer thrill I've decided I will be ordering an SSV in the coming weeks.

Will be going for White or Red sedan, in 2 minds about track stripes, will be getting some 20" rims, lowering a little maybe up to an inch and a half, darkest legal window tint, catback exhaust. Maybe some more mods later on but leaving it pretty stock for now.

Also a question: How do you guys find the stock stereo? Volume isn't my main concern, and I don't listen to doof doof. I'm more concerned with clarity and a good level of control with the eq.

Really can't wait to have it in my driveway, will post some pics when I have it!

Last edited:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Sounds good mate. Forget the track stripes. I think the big plus of the commodore over things like rexies and such is that you don't have to drive it like a douche to get the benefit out of it. It's not as pointy or nimble or even as balanced as the others at 8/ tenths and higher - but I would say much more fun to live with as a daily. You never get tired of the torque - and each mod you do just makes that better.

I'd class the stereo as barely adequate. Fits into the can't be bothered to change it category for me - I'm a massive music buff, but no audiophile - I have a decent system at home and am not too fussed about the system in the car. If I were to change anything, it would be a fairly basic speaker swap and maybe run them from an amp. Can't comment on the audio features of the S2 IQ system, but I can't see them being anything extraordinary.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
good call on the ss, just going to throw it out there. what is the point of paying the extra thousands for the redline edition when you are going to change the wheels and suspension??? isnt the only thing left the brakes over a normal ssv??? or is there more goodies in a redline

as for the track stripes, on white they look good, red not so much, better still if you can manage to get some 40th Anniversary GTS stripes

wedgee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV redline ute in Phantom
Leather seats and rear parking camera (for sedan but not ute) are another 2 things in the redline afaik.

As far as Stereo goes, yeah it's ok for 'listening' to music but there is sfa down low, volume has to be up a fair bit to get any bass out of it. I dearly want to disconnect the center speaker behind the dash... it's just wrong. I did just come from a full Alpine system in my VZ so my judgement in this field is going to be swayed somewhat :)

turks 74

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv series 2
leather seats and reverse camera come standard on the ssv plus the rims are better on the ssv than those on the redline! dont think the brembos are really worth the extra $$$$

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
IMO you made a good choice. I'm very picky with cars and the SSV got my money. I haven't had a V8 for a few years (apart from my beloved VY International Wagon which was stolen) and I didn't realise how much I was missing them.
Not bad economy from a 6 ltr either.
For me the Redline wagon was a waste of money as you only get a set of calipers. I have contacts to source some Brembo's but they won't fit under the SSV rims (which I'm keeping). Alternatively I could go with some HSV clamps...

Hope you get your wheels soon. Its painful waiting, ay!

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The XR6T, not bad, but not great. SSV interior kills the ford, and looks way better.

What drugs are you smoking? That is one of the most inaccurate statements I've ever seen on this forum!

Not only is the opposite of your statement true, the XR6T also trumps the SSV in performance in every way except for the Redline brake package.

dont think the brembos are really worth the extra $$$$

Yes and no. The size and weight of the car means the Brembos are what should be STANDARD package. So while they may add price to the car, they are worth it for the extra brake performance they provide. Should they add so much to the price? No. But both standard Ford and Standard Holden are let down by small brakes.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
CSP people have differnt opinions on what looks good and what doesnt.
how can you call that inaccurate simply because your opinion differs?