Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VE SSV Redline Sedan Owner (In a few weeks...)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Um, where did I say anything about quality auditing? Also I'm not talking about quality based on what the specifications should be. I'm talking about comparing the quality between two different products that performs the same function.

You mentioned Quality control teams. Thats what they do - audit quality!

You aren't talking about quality though, An assessment of 2 products that perform the same function and on one level it can be objective. But when it comes to liking one interior to another (for example) and the associated design and material selection, it is very much a subjective assessment. I like the ford center console but find the steering wheel and driving position terrible. That's just my opinion and others (eg you!) will have exactly the other opinion. That doesn't mean either of us are wrong or more right than the other.

Reaper

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just a few that spring to mind in relation to interior:
The type of leather/fabric used
The type of plastic used
Trim alignment
Quality of buttons/switches
Seat adjustment/support/comfort
Type of carpets used

Basically any component in a car can be measured against another car for it's quality. I fail to understand why people don't get that!

Apologies for butting in on an argument (not adding to it, incidentally). Interior quality, or rather interior surface selection, needs to be looked at in terms of practicality as well as perceived quality. Remember, you have to live with this everyday. For instance, any leather surface, in any modern vehicle under (say) $150,000 is coated - which does wonders for durability, but completely ruins the feel - to the extent where mercedes benz doesn't use leather at all, except for the very top end cars (they use a synthetic product called MB Tex - for every model right up to and including C63 AMG and E class variants - although anyone who tells you this is 'better' than coated leather is lying to you - more durable, yes.. better.. no).

And not wanting to give credit to holden where it ISN'T due - but I think they have done a similar thing with their interiors. The interiors feel cheap - but are VERY easy to clean and maintain. The carpets are open pile, so don't trap grit, the fabric seats are tough and durable (SS spec and higher), as opposed to the ordinary velour used in older models, the plastics are thin and inexpensive, but well designed in that there are no real dips or valleys for dust and grime to build up, the dash gives off significantly less glare than previous models and the plastics seem to be less susceptible to sun damage, fading and cracking . So whilst the perceived quality in the feel and finish may not be up to par, it is VERY easy to maintain the VE interior to its as-new appearance. Which is a quality that I have noticed is sorely lacking in A LOT of new/near new vehicles.

This isn't a slinging match between brands - there are others that have succeeded in the practicality area - but there are many more that haven't - and not just cheap cars either.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
CSP
yes you can comment. but you cannot asume you comment to be fact and label anyone who has a different opinion as wrong.or as you implie stupid.
You think the ford is better quality others do not.

Last edited:

H4Z4RD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6 Sedan
So why didn't you like the wrx? I just sold my MY10 hatch...loved the bloody thing, little sad I cannot keep it. With tune only it smashed the SS's without even working hard. If i could keep 2 cars and didn't have an injury that is aggravated by the tougher ride, I'd certainly keep the rex.

All that said, I test drove an SS and Calais V the other day, was pretty disapointed especially for the price, Holden are rorting their B.W.M's something bad. Calais V had a sticker price close to 70k lol...the interior felt like I was ina plastic factory that could collapse at any time. One of the test cars I drove had 1100 km's on it and already had rattling parts and wind noises. It does have a really nice radio though!! I think the VZ was the last of the nice interiors for me.

I ended up with a G6E Turbo, for the price, nothing matches it. Already missing my rexy though :(

All this said, you like it, so who gives a toss what anyone else thinks, everyone finds different things they like/dislike and base their purchase as such, enjoy it :D

That's a good question.

Okay, in terms of why we bought the WRX in the 1st place, I wanted something with more power & handling ability than what we were driving (WQ Ford Fiesta, which I thought was a great little car, but not MANLY!). At that stage it was the right car for the right price.

I drives fantastic, corners well, no real complaints about the car in general. But I don't ever want to just drive it for no reason. I don't "feel" anything whilst driving it.

It's obviously the red of my neck showing, need V8!

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
you have to have the attacment. the love of the car or else its just a whitegood

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
you have to have the attacment. the love of the car or else its just a whitegood

I don't get attached to any of my cars but don't regard them as white goods either.

Reaper

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
Nice work Snips.

Am keen to find out what he bought in the end and how much weight the comments on this thread had in the decision he made.

All I can say for sure is, had there not been a Redline sportwagon we would have gone to either an M3 or an E63. The Redline at 50K in the sportwagon configuration was a deal maker for us. Now with the KPM underneath, the vented bonnet, sunroof and DVD player we have a muscle car to be proud of.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
LOL!!! You chose a Redline Holden Commodore when an option was an E63??? Hahahahahahahaha.....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
That's a good question.

Okay, in terms of why we bought the WRX in the 1st place, I wanted something with more power & handling ability than what we were driving (WQ Ford Fiesta, which I thought was a great little car, but not MANLY!). At that stage it was the right car for the right price.

I drives fantastic, corners well, no real complaints about the car in general. But I don't ever want to just drive it for no reason. I don't "feel" anything whilst driving it.

It's obviously the red of my neck showing, need V8!

Ahh yep, I get what you mean. I think the wrx drives and handles too well and takes away a lot of the fun. You'd have to be a retarded driver to lose control of one lol.

Nice work Snips.

Am keen to find out what he bought in the end and how much weight the comments on this thread had in the decision he made.

All I can say for sure is, had there not been a Redline sportwagon we would have gone to either an M3 or an E63. The Redline at 50K in the sportwagon configuration was a deal maker for us. Now with the KPM underneath, the vented bonnet, sunroof and DVD player we have a muscle car to be proud of.

Haven driven an E92 10.5 M3, there is no way in hell you would ever pick a holden over it lol, in fact there is no Australian car you would buy over it (unless the bogan inside wanted some feral old poohbarge :p). Unless of course you cannot afford the 180k pricetag of the M3 lol...

I will go with the latter though :)