Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Volkswagen Advertisement

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The latest Volkswagen ad shows a large number of examples of different VW's.

At the end of the ad, a young girl driving a Golf lets the car park itself in a perfect reverse park. It appears to be completely "hands off". What I want to know is, why are manufacturers now coming up with technology to replace the need for the most basic driving functions to still be performed by the driver? Will they eventually develop cars where the driver input is zero?

I know that lots of incompetent drivers will love this feature but to me, if you can't reverse park correctly without the help of technology, you can't drive. Full stop.

What do others think?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i guess the hands free parking could be a good idea, but as you say people loose basic driving skills.

but if you watch that episode of topgear with that expensive car that could reverse itself (lexus?) , they did take out the rear of the car....

i just liked the end of that ad. with what that fella says.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The VW Park Assist isn't new. But it's a great technology.

Thing is, remove the human factor from driving and crashes would become non-existent.

And that Lexus on Top Gear is old technology...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The VW Park Assist isn't new. But it's a great technology.

Thing is, remove the human factor from driving and crashes would become non-existent.

And that Lexus on Top Gear is old technology...

There's no doubt that the technology is brilliant. And your point regarding crash damage reduction is valid. But are manufacturers simply creating cars that the worst drivers can operate with minimal input (ie intelligence and skill)? If all cars adopt this technology, will the need to demonstrate the most rudimentary driving skills diminish to the point where they are no longer required?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I wish it was on the calais for the missus, no gravel rash on my rims :p

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
TechnologyFAIL...

If you can't reverse park, hand your licence in now.

Same with reverse parking sensors, "But the vision out the back of my VY-VE Commodore is so bad, you can't tell how far away you are from the other car..."

FAIL... Hand your licence in also. Its not that hard, and if you rely on them to park for everywhere there is a GREATER risk of hitting a pole/trolley/random object because "it didn't beep at me..."

Learn how to drive people!!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I'm an ace at reverse parallel parking in my Hiace... I nail it every time even when I think the gap is too small. Vans are a piece of piss to park. I've never actually tried with the Stato though.