Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New VS: Some questions

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi All.

First time on the JC foums but always been a reader.

Just bought a VS Equipe (Series I) from my in laws at a great price.

Always wanted a commodore since I was a kid (had subaru's most of my life and only ever worked on them so be patient with me on the commodores hehe)

Just got a couple of questions:

* I am getting a slight hiss from the engine as accelerate, I asusme this is a tensioner that needs to be replaced?

* Also getting a squeel from the brakes upon light braking (cheap pads maybe?)

* Can anyone recommend anywhere in Adelaide where I can get the roof lining replaced as it has the common sagging problem (or someone on the forums that does it for $$)

* Occasionally when I go to start the car, all the lights come up on the dash but when I turn the key nothing happens and I usually have to wait a few minutes before trying again and it working....I have checked for loose or worn fueses but can't seem to find anything. (sometimes I find it will start in Neutral but not in park and sometimes the other way around)

Thanks Alot

zelby11

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SCOOTER
Any motor trimmer will replace the roof lining it might cost you about $150-$200.The brakes squeeling is common the reasoning for that is the brake dust,you can buy some spray at repco to spray on the discs.What kind off hiss noise is the engine actually making?With the starting the car problem I think might be the engine system,there might be something in the car that the system doesnt recognise,some thing thats been added to the motor or transmission? It could be the starter motor,usually when the brush inside it gets jammed the car wont start.

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
sorry to interject but do you mean just spray some break dust cleaner on the rotors? wouldn't that make them slightly slippery?

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
Brake cleaner evaporates leaving nothing behind

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
A place in Murray Bridge does the roof linings for $150, although I cant remember the name of it. There is threads on here how to do it yourself, pretty easy to do especily if you have a friend to lend you a hand.

Not too sure about the other problems.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
do an error code check to make sure there aint any errors your not aware off....cheeers
Hi All.

First time on the JC foums but always been a reader.

Just bought a VS Equipe (Series I) from my in laws at a great price.

Always wanted a commodore since I was a kid (had subaru's most of my life and only ever worked on them so be patient with me on the commodores hehe)

Just got a couple of questions:

* I am getting a slight hiss from the engine as accelerate, I asusme this is a tensioner that needs to be replaced?

* Also getting a squeel from the brakes upon light braking (cheap pads maybe?)

* Can anyone recommend anywhere in Adelaide where I can get the roof lining replaced as it has the common sagging problem (or someone on the forums that does it for $$)

* Occasionally when I go to start the car, all the lights come up on the dash but when I turn the key nothing happens and I usually have to wait a few minutes before trying again and it working....I have checked for loose or worn fueses but can't seem to find anything. (sometimes I find it will start in Neutral but not in park and sometimes the other way around)

Thanks Alot

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks all.

With regards to the starting the engine problem

I have pinned it down to either a problem with the key or a problem with the immobiliser

The car will only start if I lock it then unlock it with the remote. (e.g can't turn car off, take key out and start it again...I have to turn car off, take key out, lock, unlock, start)

So it seems the immobiliser is playing silly buggers

Any ideas?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
dosnt sound like its the key> more leaning towards the emob
Thanks all.

I have pinned it down to either a problem with the key or a problem with the immobiliser

The car will only start if I lock it then unlock it with the remote. (e.g can't turn car off, take key out and start it again...I have to turn car off, take key out, lock, unlock, start)

Any ideas?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
The battery in the kid head could be goin flat, or not making connection with the ignition properly

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks all.

Any ideas?

I just had very similar prob. I had to press unlock to start my VY also. Codes pulled came up with "slip key reader failure" Do you have a metal ring around your ignition that the little ball on the key makes contact with as you turn the key? If so, pull your key head apart as per the How-to on this site and check if the "ball" has slipped inwards slightly and thus not contacting the slip key reader. I bought a new reader from Holden for $21. I think, however the problem was with the ball in the key, as after replacing key reader I still had the same problem.
When you've pulled your key apart, you can fix the contacts as per the How-to while you're at it, but what you may have to do is make sure the ball is protruding enough to make contact, then use a small amount of super glue to hold it in place. I also used some wet'n'dry to clean up the areas that this contacts within the key head. This may be your problem, too.
Or it might even be in the nuetral/park switch if it's not starting in nuetral or park sometimes.